J. Edgar (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
mchekhov wrote:just read that Oscar Buzz for his performance is dying down. Many critics are saying he will most likely be dropped out of the top 5 within the next few weeks
Source?

Leo's performance is one of the best performances of this year. He has to be nominated. They can't just ignore his hardwork and dedication for the character.
Last edited by Rohan on November 28th, 2011, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mchekhov wrote:Image

I think he'll get in.

I find majority of oscar bloggers unreliable this early in the race. War horse was just screen in the last 24 hours and the hysteria these bloggers created is hilarious. Watch, in the next couple of weeks they'll retract everything they just said. At this point in the race they just fellow the film with the "momentum" and immediately change once the next contender starts to gain attention.

Once the race actually starts (Industry nominations are revealed) the race will be a little more digestible in knowing what the academy will favour. I finds most oscarlogist predictions are clouded by their personal choices rather than analysing what the academy will choose. I can never take Sasha Stone or David Poland seriously because of this. They predict what they personally like rather than what the academy will like.

Leo will get in because the clint academy supporters are massive, even with his least popular film he was still able to get actors nominated. Leo is overdue for another nomination, so SAG will support him. Don't trust oscar bloggers at the moment, most of them are critics so naturally they assume a bad reviewed film will eliminate any chance of oscar. Academy members are different they vote not based on reviews (social network) but what they like. And if they have the passion for it they will get it nominated.
Last edited by cooldude on November 28th, 2011, 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

not to mention Daniel Craig's performance might be another heavy weight contender.
Why you lurking my page brah?

cooldued wrote:Wasn't it recently reported that alejandro was trying to get leo to star in his next film?
Looks like it might happen.
Yeah.. good chance it happens.
There are a lot of directors I’d still love to work with. Paul Thomas Anderson is someone I’d love to work with.
This is bound to happen at some point with the mutual interest.

Dodd wrote:not to mention Daniel Craig's performance might be another heavy weight contender.

not possible

cooldued wrote:I think he'll get in.

I find majority of oscar bloggers unreliable this early in the race. War horse was just screen in the last 24 hours and the hysteria these bloggers created is hilarious. Watch, in the next couple of weeks they'll retract everything they just said. At this point in the race they just fellow the film with the "momentum" and immediately change once the next contender starts to gain attention.

Once the race actually starts (Industry nominations are revealed) the race will be a little more digestible in knowing what the academy will favour. I finds most oscarlogist predictions are clouded by their personal choices rather than analysing what the academy will choose. I can never take Sasha Stone or David Poland seriously because of this. They predict what they personally like rather than what the academy will like.

Leo will get in because the clint academy supporters are massive, even with his least popular film he was still able to get actors nominated. Leo is overdue for another nomination, so SAG will support him. Don't trust oscar bloggers at the moment, most of them are critics so naturally they assume a bad reviewed film will eliminate any chance of oscar. Academy members are different they vote not based on reviews (social network) but what they like. And if they have the passion for it they will get it nominated.

you forget that campaigning is a large part of this whole thing, and Leo has been out of the country and will continue to be. There are other guys who are gaining more momentum and are campaigning very hard that will replace him.

I don't think we can count Leo out until he starts not appearing on most critics lists. But even then there are still surprises, and this is the type of performance that Academy likes to award.

At the very least I'm expecting a Golden Globe nomination.

I still think he will get nominated.

Speaking in terms of who can win the category, I have a hard time imagining anyone other than Clooney or DiCaprio.