Skyfall (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I know he's right but it's kind of obvious. It's a somewhat common storytelling devise.
Brave New World

It was no more original when the Joker did it in TDK either, but nobody complained then.

ComptonTerry wrote:It was no more original when the Joker did it in TDK either, but nobody complained then.
It came as quite the surprise to me back then. Plus, it hadn't been done in a huge action blockbuster that just recently had been released.

ComptonTerry wrote:It was no more original when the Joker did it in TDK either, but nobody complained then.
Exactly, although, to be fair, it was much more impressive the way it was done in TDK...and just recently these 2 movies have used the same plot device...and I can't think of many movies that were great before TDK that used it, although I know there were.

Allstar wrote:Image
This makes no sense at all. Being a good to great movie villain doesn't exactly correlate to having this in the movie. Sure, he noticed that one of the best villains of all time in one of the best movies of all time got caught and escaped and then a great Bond villain does the same thing. There are plenty of other examples of great bad guys who don't do this and are still effective.
Brave New World

ryan4butler wrote:
Allstar wrote:Image
This makes no sense at all. Being a good to great movie villain doesn't exactly correlate to having this in the movie. Sure, he noticed that one of the best villains of all time in one of the best movies of all time got caught and escaped and then a great Bond villain does the same thing. There are plenty of other examples of great bad guys who don't do this and are still effective.
Skyab23's point is a good one, though.

I don't believe it's a rip off of The Dark Knight; it's basically a Reverse Trojan Prisoner situation, in which normally the hero let's hilmself be caught and taken to the villains base to gain intel or another advantage. Only with the villain.

But it's true that two closely released great films with good villains have used this trope after another successful film with an even more sucessful villain had used it few years before. To be fair, however, I didn't buy it in any of the cases, primarly because of timing.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

The execution in Avengers was terrible, partially because I think Loki is a very weak villian.

Durden_77 wrote:The execution in Avengers was terrible, partially because I think Loki is a very weak villian.
He was not threatening at all.
Brave New World

It was better in The Avengers than Skyfall IMO.

Allstar wrote:It was better in The Avengers than Skyfall IMO.
Seconded.

I didn't like the execution in Skyfall because it was a bit too obvious and yet the main characters looked too surprised when it happened. The Dark Knight did this as well but the fact that the Joker actually looks magnificent enough to pull it off, combined with the surprise of how he executed his plan (the bomb guy) and the fact that he fooled the security protocols of a police station instead of a super-spy agency made it much better.

In The Avengers it was a different approach. It was more patient, as Loki spends the entire second act there, but it was also well-milked, because the main characters were suspicious of Loki's intentions from minute zero, and yet, Loki is still able to play with them 'till the last moment, and the fact that the villain exploited the heroes' psychological flaws from inside it's a plot point to their development.

None of those touch the one in TDK, but I also believe that The Avengers' one was more organic.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.