Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ah yes, Disney, the sole monstrous money devouring entity, the Tartarus of the movie industry squashing the other angelic humanitarians.

Does Batfan regularly seek out independent kino and support non Disney films?

Money does the talking Batfan...support the non disney films dude and spread the word.

Disney isn't some horrendous or evil entity, but they definitely do lack creativity and artistry. I was amazed when it was considered a big deal that Deadpool would be allowed to be rated "R". I thought that was a given. Apparently not. Apparently, all Disney films are PG-13 or lower. You also see how all these indie talents and perspectives are homogenized to be indistinguishable in style from one movie to another. The movies are a product, designed to sell the most they can.

Look at how the MCU only in 2019 has reference to a single gay character, a cameo at that. I don't care, but from what I hear, the creatives do. Disney and Marvel, like Transformers, are meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's not a bad thing for most, it's actually a good thing because more people can enjoy the product. But it is a bad thing for people that have higher standards for movies or are more critical.

Ruth wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 3:06 pm
Ah yes, Disney, the sole monstrous money devouring entity, the Tartarus of the movie industry squashing the other angelic humanitarians.
:lol: :clap: Just top posting alaround.

Ruth wrote:
I know that it's a multi-million dollar company that does not need you to defend its brand. Its sole purpose is to make money and it objectively does not care about you or me beyond the cash we're willing to cough up. They do however have a reputation for being a particularly aggressive company, especially when it comes to their IP rights and they always have been. True, the corporate world is pretty damn grim across the board but Disney is one of the more insidious examples.

Batfan175 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 5:04 pm
I know that it's a multi-million dollar company that does not need you to defend its brand. Its sole purpose is to make money and it objectively does not care about you or me beyond the cash we're willing to cough up. They do however have a reputation for being a particularly aggressive company, especially when it comes to their IP rights and they always have been. True, the corporate world is pretty damn grim across the board but Disney is one of the more insidious examples.
Same can be said about HBO!

Artemis wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 3:19 pm
Does Batfan regularly seek out independent kino and support non Disney films?

Money does the talking Batfan...support the non disney films dude and spread the word.
I do support Cinematek in the city where I live. They project older classics of all kinds and I can get a monthly programme with all the films they are planning on showing generally.
As far as new releases are concerned, I do try to watch smaller, non-Disney films in cinemas but some films that I would have gladly bought tickets for like 'Fighting with my Family' or 'Booksmart' I was not able to see at my local theatre because they were not being projected there. It is what it is, sadly.

Allstar wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 5:14 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
Yes, same is true for HBO, though the kind of programming they offer like the Sopranos, Deadwood, Game of Thrones etc. is a lot more challenging and hence interesting to me than what Disney is willing to make. I don't feel like defending their corporate behaviour either though.

Batfan175 wrote:
Ruth wrote:
Are you seriously taking me for an idiot? Like, do you genuinely think you’ve just offered me some enlightment by talking about the obvious? Should I find this pathetic or mildly insulting?

I don’t really know how you view online discourse between a bunch of strangers on the internet, given your repetitive dissertations on Game of Thrones every other day, but me taking like a minute or two to type out a response that doesn’t agree with yours isn’t me “defending” Disney. (or if it is and someone is reading, omg wow Disney please hire me!!) I don’t have to either blindly hate or stan something ya know. Nuance something something.

Batfan175 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 5:23 pm
Allstar wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 5:14 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
Yes, same is true for HBO, though the kind of programming they offer like the Sopranos, Deadwood, Game of Thrones etc. is a lot more challenging and hence interesting to me than what Disney is willing to make. I don't feel like defending their corporate behaviour either though.
What’s wrong with a company wanting to make money?