Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan: But congratulations to Marvel for making a film good enough to convince a whole bunch of people that these films are anything other than barely passable.
:lol: :lol: :clap:

Outtrolled yourself.

It's like entering a biker club and proclaiming Harley Davidson sucks ass. What's going to happen next, you think. 'A whole bunch of people' are going to say bravo, Batfan, you are right, all of us losers who contributed to gigantic 1-1,2 bil. OW are just idiots, you are 100 percent right, these movies are barely passable. Such bloody idiots we are, whole lotta us around the world.

Yes, a whole bunch of people are overpraising these multimillion dollar monstrosities for doing the bare minimum in terms of cinematography, character development, music, storytelling, etc. It's the 'minimal cinematic universe' and has been since post-Ironman. All that time, talent and money and THIS is the best they could do? Lots of reasons to be disappointed by that fact alone. The last 3-hour epic I watched was Return of the King and that film I have rewatched lots of times because not only does it have memorable characters, it has a great look, fantastic soundtrack and a great story as well. I will most likely never watch this MCU film again.

I thought Hemsworth was the MVP of the film. Seriously, he had most of the theatre in stitches and his arc was pretty great throughout the film.

I'd actually rank them like this:
1. Thor
2. Cap (great lines, the standout scene "yeah, I know", and the best closure)
3. Iron Man (solid performance, great closure moment and reference line, but the child storyline felt totally underdeveloped)
4. Nebula (great opening with Tony and is the cause of the conflict in the film, probably her best performance)
5. Ant-Man (basically comic relief but also integral to the story of the film)

The other ones, really didn't need to be in the film at all. I liked Black Widow and especially Hawkeye as Ronin, and the Alien-vibe scene he got. But they really didn't have a strong enough arc in the film.

Batfan175 wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 6:18 am
I will most likely never watch this MCU film again.
ok don’t trip on your way out then

Dobson wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 7:43 am
MCU's third A+ Cinemascore
It's hard to rely on Cinemascore as a metric for quality. Inception and Arrival have a B, but Thor 2 has an A-? Come on now.

Batfan175 wrote:
Yes, a whole bunch of people are overpraising these multimillion dollar monstrosities for doing the bare minimum in terms of cinematography, character development, music, storytelling, etc. It's the 'minimal cinematic universe' and has been since post-Ironman. All that time, talent and money and THIS is the best they could do? Lots of reasons to be disappointed by that fact alone. The last 3-hour epic I watched was Return of the King and that film I have rewatched lots of times because not only does it have memorable characters, it has a great look, fantastic soundtrack and a great story as well. I will most likely never watch this MCU film again.
The one thing I can agree on is that Marvel Studios have a luxury of shoehorning characters and plot threads into their movies without ever being criticized. Civil War works as an MCU flick, but it doesn't work as a film. Right in the middle you get this fight, and you are introduced to characters like Ant-Man, who is just there because he has to be. In other films that wouldn't fly. Their films don't need to be pedantic. They can just throw whatever they want and it will stick.
Last edited by Master Virgo on April 28th, 2019, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double posting

Ruth wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 6:44 am
Batfan175 wrote:
It don't matter either way, I'll just get right back up.

Batfan175 wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 6:56 am
Ruth wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
Yeah, and that's the sad part. You can't even bring yourself to stop watching these films.

Bacon wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 11:23 pm
Cilogy wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 11:21 pm
So I just realized

Doesn't this film sorta nullify the effect of Civil War?
Like, what Zemo did to split the Avengers is hardly addressed in this film

I mean I guess it makes sense if the stakes are higher, but still, it's like shit dude that was the most compelling storyline in the Avengers and it was sorta ignored altogether
The whole reason Thanos wins in Infinity War is because the Avengers are split up.
Uh...how? The Avengers are split up not because of resentment but because of narrative necessity in that film. There's a lot of shit happening on multiple planets. Even united, the Avengers would have split up between defending the Earth and attacking Thanos on Titan. Thor is the only one that has a shot of killing Thanos in the film and his Earth absence has no link with Civil War.

Ruth wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 6:57 am
Batfan175 wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 6:56 am
Ruth wrote:

Yeah, and that's the sad part. You can't even bring yourself to stop watching these films.
I never said that these films are entirely garbage, which is the point where I would definitely decide not to watch them anymore. I get a lot out of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and Thor Ragnarok for instance but that's because they feel more like the product of a filmmaker's vision. No, what I am mostly railing against is the amount of superlatives heaped at this universe as if the company were seriously trying to make something daring and meaningful, which to me is the only time words like 'groundbreaking' should be used. This has a gazillion-dollar budget and a built-in audience and yet it goes for the most standard stories 90% of the time. 'Logan' was a great film because it decided to not go for big shiny spectacle but focused on the characters and got something meaningful out of it, yet the MCU always seems afraid to have people seriously care about anything.

I really would rather not overthink this particular plot point but I can't help it and if anyone would like to provide some clarity, it would be much appreciated...

If
Steve goes back in time and lives with Peggy and marries her...doesn't he do so knowing that Bucky lived and is being tortured by Hydra? Does he just allow that to happen for another 70 years or so until the original timeline happens when he meets him in Winter Soldier? Hard to believe he would be able to live with himself allowing that.