Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Key ingredients for MCU greatness outlined below:
GOD REDFORD
GOD SIMPKINS
A superb entertainment, pipping A Bridge Too Far for best cast of all time I think with a lot of great surprises, and also some really beautiful
Peggy Sue Got Married
moments that are the reason that this works and feels substantial, and that Infinity War doesn't. An extremely innovative use of the MCU, great feat of writing. It doesn't transcend the MCU, of course it can't, but it stands with the pillars of the series as really robust action adventure films.
No, seriously, if anything was going to make me cry it was SIMPKINS. What a wonderful grace note.

@m4, yeah I had sky high expectations but even I got the kind of stuff I just didn’t expect.

There were moments the entire theater collectively LOST IT, people were going crazy laughing and clapping, and just reacting overall. I usually hate super loud theaters and annoying people but I fucking loved this atmosphere, so coming from me that’s A LOT. I found it hard keeping my cool during so many certain emotional moments, but when I heard a girl above me cry, I fucking lost it and just let it all go.

I’ll probably post more elaborate thoughts in the morning, once I’ve had bit more time to process. But I gotta say one thing because I know a million debbie downers are incoming. You can shit on whatever things you think MCU “lacked” - plot logic, “le intellectual depth”, whatever, you can think it’s brainless crap for kids, it’s uninspired, non cinematic, stupid, whatever. But you just cannot deny the impact it’s had. The emotional reach MCU has is insane, and that’s no thanks to the audiences being dumb and the movies’ “silly jokes & green screen cgi explosions”. If that was all it took to create something THIS big, we would’ve seen this success a million times already. So you can stay bitter for ages trying to explain that away or undermine it. Imagine a franchise being so massive even the haters ran to see it.

There was this kid, ten years old at best, alone in cinema just like I was back in 1994 when Lion King came, he was sitting next to me and he asked me ‘are you excited as I am sir? This is going to be the best movie ever!’ I was so glad it probably was, for him, at the end.

Man can we talk about how gorgeous this movie was, aesthetically?

Also, my first introduction to Cap Marvel. Yeah, she’s a bitch alright just like in the comic books. Liked that a lot. :lol:

I have not been an MCU fan fan, but have been following it for 11 years and genuinely love some of them (cap 2 and cap 3), Endgame caps this universe in the most amazingly entertaining way. I don't even care if my opinion changes after some time. Those three hours of my first viewing would ALWAYS be downright gobsmacking.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 6:14 pm
GOD SIMPKINS
No, seriously, if anything was going to make me cry it was SIMPKINS. What a wonderful grace note.
Heavy spoiler
Is he the guy, on which camera lingers on during the funeral? The only person I didn't recognize in that scene.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
This is the new gold standard for the MCU. This was an excellent and emotionally satisfying movie.

I knew little to nothing going in and I cried. First time I've cried in a theater.

Overall very entertaining but a good amount doesn't add up for me..

mainly all the loose or closed loops in the time traveling writing

4N Legend wrote:
April 26th, 2019, 3:04 am
Overall very entertaining but a good amount doesn't add up for me..

mainly all the loose or closed loops in the time traveling writing
Because it's lazy writing and an easy way out.
That's how they can get away from bringing characters back from the death and get away with it. But one thing I would hope for is that if they are to introduce the X-men or the Fantastic Four I hope it will be in a different Universe(without the other super heroes). So for them to come across one another and have a "crossover" it will hopefully introduce the Negative Zone.

spade wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 10:20 pm
ArmandFancypants wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 6:14 pm
GOD SIMPKINS
Heavy spoiler
Is he the guy, on which camera lingers on during the funeral? The only person I didn't recognize in that scene.
Yup, the
Iron Man 3 kid