Avengers: Endgame (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batman's Batman wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 12:49 pm
So I've seen it. I have a few gripes so far.
I feel the opening was written in the script on the first draft, but was not revisited. Individually, those moments hold together. But when they are intertwined, they feel badly edited. There's a prologue in the film that was very rushed and that felt more like a middle of the film rather than its beginning. And then there's a big time jump at 19 minutes that feels more like it should've been the opening of the film. Also Carol's character appears with no rhyme or reason in the movie. That post credits scene from CM is not even in the movie.
Didn't want to go to spoilers, but overall?

poplar wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Batman's Batman wrote:
I feel the opening was written in the script on the first draft, but was not revisited. Individually, those moments hold together. But when they are intertwined, they feel badly edited. There's a prologue in the film that was very rushed and that felt more like a middle of the film rather than its beginning. And then there's a big time jump at 19 minutes that feels more like it should've been the opening of the film. Also Carol's character appears with no rhyme or reason in the movie. That post credits scene from CM is not even in the movie.
It's the best final installment the MCU has ever given us. Unlike Iron Man 3, Civil War, and Ragnarok, this feels like a good bookend to the overarching story. The MCU could've ended here and it would be satisfying to almost everyone.

So, final act is epic as hell? or just epic?

Oku
Damn, every time I hit Submit, another post comes up.

Sanchez wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 10:56 am
That was epic. I thought the first 40 minutes or so were kinda all over the place, felt rushed at times and too slow at others. But after that the three hours flew by and I loved pretty much every second of it.

It's definitely flawed though and it might not stand the test of time like I feel movies like TDK or Logan will, but it's also no doubt the most ambitious CBM of all time, and it's really fucking impressive how they managed to pull it off.
Agree.

You don't feel the three hours, and the first hour did keep switching back and forth between insane, jaw-dropping speed and plodding, slow crawl.

Sanchez wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 12:24 pm
The cameo is really short, but pretty damn funny.

BlairCo wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 11:40 am
There are some patchy spots, but our investment in this ongoing franchise for the past 10 years is rewarded with the most satisfying and epic conclusion imaginable. Just when you think the stakes couldn't get higher, the Russo's turn it up to 11. It truly is the Return of the King of superhero movies.
Well said, I completely agree.
How did y'all think it compares as a superhero-conclusion to The Dark Knight Rises?
I felt like The Dark Knight Rises offered actual closure, and as a result was more satisfying.

Endgame's use of time travel to bring back dead characters like Loki and Gamora, on the other hand, have made me wonder whether the two 'permanent' deaths that we get in Endgame are actually permanent, consequently giving me no closure.

Also Endgame felt strangely smaller scale than The Dark Knight Rises, maybe because the landscape of that final battle looked the same everywhere with no real variety?
Batman's Batman wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 1:01 pm
poplar wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Batman's Batman wrote:
It's the best final installment the MCU has ever given us. Unlike Iron Man 3, Civil War, and Ragnarok, this feels like a good bookend to the overarching story. The MCU could've ended here and it would be satisfying to almost everyone.
I'm in the not "almost everyone" group.

I found it to have way too many unaddressed issues for it to be a satisfying conclusion.

Please for the sake of all of us, let's not start the Endgame vs. Rises debate, or things are going to turn ugly around here.£

I don't think people around here are so insecure that they can't like both films.

I love Logan almost as equally as TDK, TDKR and BB, so if I added a fifth film to my all-time top five superhero movies that would be great.

Allstar wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Without spoilers, how is Nebula/Karen Gillan?
I think this is the best we've seen from her so far. And I mean both the character and the performance.

LelekPL wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 1:51 pm
I don't think people around here are so insecure that they can't like both films.

I love Logan almost as equally as TDK, TDKR and BB, so if I added a fifth film to my all-time top five superhero movies that would be great.
I don't think it's so much insecurity as it's difference in taste. People who love Logan and TDK trilogy may see MCU films differently because those movies's style relies on things like comedy and forced pop culture nods that movies like Logan and TDK trilogy try to avoid, which makes them seem more classy. And vice versa, people who love MCU may not feel the same way about movies like Logan or TDK trilogy because they don't have those things and they take themselves too seriously. Case in point, I think people on this site, even those who don't like MCU, are very level-headed when it comes to discussions such as this. If you go and read some of the comments on comicbookmovie from MCU fans in regards to TDK trilogy or Fox-Men-Verse, they will describe those movies to you as if they should be banned and put alongside movies like Birth of a Nation. I'm not joking, this is what people usually write about Nolan on that site:

^That's insecurity. A group of dudebros, who wouldn't know what cinema is even if you would drop an entire shelf from Criterion Collection on them, are attacking Nolan and his fans because they feel insecure because his Batman films steal the spotlight from their favorite franchise and they can validate themselves only by doing childish finger-pointings where their criticisms are limited to "overrated and pseudo-intellectual" & "The Dark Knight is only liked because people are too nice to criticize it because it stars a dead actor."

As I already said, I think we're doing good here. We don't try to put people or the filmmakers down because they like MCU but don't like some of the Nolan's work and vice versa. This site doesn't seem to have any biases, unlike the one I mentioned, where people literally get their comments deleted if they say they don't like Captain Marvel or any of the Avengers movies, but nobody touches their comments if they praise the MCU while insulting DC & Nolan fans.

I haven't seen the movie, but I have a question:
Is Aunt May in this movie?

Dobson wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 3:17 pm
I haven't seen the movie, but I have a question:
Is Aunt May in this movie?
Only at the very end. Blink and you missed it.