The Nolan Fans Film Awards 2018 - (FYC/Discussion)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I just realized I think the only three movies I've seen that came out in 2017 are Dunkirk, The Last Jedi, and Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman disappointed me. I wanted to see Blade Runner but it came out in the middle of moving and I just never got to it. I don't really like watching R-rated movies these days anyway.

Edit: I forgot I watched War for the Apes. I guess that tells you everything you need to know about how I felt about that movie.

A reminder that you have only 20 more days to vote.£

fyc: Tracy Letts in Lady Bird

So I enjoy the film, especially the screenplay, but does anyone have a compelling argument as to why Get Out would be anywhere near best director territory?

A unique vision, career performance from Kaluuya and an overall ensemble performance, creating a sense of dread and eeriness with a mix of comedy. It’s a fantastic debut

LelekPL wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 2:58 pm
A unique vision, career performance from Kaluuya and an overall ensemble performance, creating a sense of dread and eeriness with a mix of comedy. It’s a fantastic debut
Yeah this just about sums it up. Just wanna emphasize how good Kaluuya is. Seriously his best actor nomination was well deserved.

Quell wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm
So I enjoy the film, especially the screenplay, but does anyone have a compelling argument as to why Get Out would be anywhere near best director territory?
To me it's about the balance. The way he handled all those different territories without losing his grip is worthy of recognition i.e. a nomination. It's quite impressive, all the more because it's his debut. I thought it was a very solid film overall, but it doesn't reach greatness for me. Maybe over time but I don't feel like that now.

Kaluuya is of course terrific in Get Out and very much in nomination territory, but his best performance was in Black Mirror.£

Nomis wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 7:40 pm
Quell wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm
To me it's about the balance. The way he handled all those different territories without losing his grip is worthy of recognition i.e. a nomination. It's quite impressive, all the more because it's his debut. I thought it was a very solid film overall, but it doesn't reach greatness for me. Maybe over time but I don't feel like that now.
I appreciate the achievement and I've seen it twice, but nothing about it visually compels me to revisit it unlike beautifully shot films such as Phantom Thread, etc. I'm just a directorial snob I guess.

Direction is not just cinematography and how the movie looks. That's what the DP is there for.

It's basically the overall package - control of tone, actors, pacing, blocking, cinematography are a part of it - but basically it's an award for storytelling.