Untitled Star Wars Trilogy (Rian Johnson)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Panapaok wrote:I wonder whether this will receive any backlash from the fandom now.
Definitely. Just look up "Rian Johnson" on Twitter. I'm honestly kind of worried about how he's doing.

Panapaok wrote:I wonder whether this will receive any backlash from the fandom now.
It shouldn't. It really shouldn't.

I honestly really want this to happen and I barely know a thing about it
cast me rian pls

i'll shield everybody from all of the backlash

Bacon wrote:
Definitely. Just look up "Rian Johnson" on Twitter. I'm honestly kind of worried about how he's doing.
A certain core of Star Wars fans are deeply abysmal. I recall the time they sent death threats to R. A. Salvatore when he killed off Chewie.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
Bacon wrote:
A certain core of Star Wars fans are deeply abysmal. I recall the time they sent death threats to R. A. Salvatore when he killed off Chewie.
Oh yeah. Many aren't happy or pleased by about anything. I wonder how Rian's holding up because from my knowledge, he's yet to say anything about the film now that it's released.

A good many of SW fans are obnoxious entitled morons? What else is new?£

People who flip out over how fictional characters or concepts are treated in a fictional story ought not to be considered fans of the thing they are throwing a tantrum over. At the end of the day, it's just a story and noone's forcing them to engage with that story. That is not to say people can't be critical of the way that story is being told but there are limits. The term 'fan' does not mean that everything these people do is automatically ok just because 'they care so much'.

I was a big fan of LOTR but I never interacted with other fans when I was younger. I enjoyed every moment of being a fan of these books because I got to read and enjoy all these different stories and immerse myself in these fantastic worlds and one of my friends liked the LOTR and Hobbit books as well and on occasion we'd talk about the characters, etc. but that was it. I was not part of an online community and maybe that was crucial to the way I perceived the books and Tolkien's world. They are important to me as part of my childhood but I could also understand why someone else would criticise the writing or the fantasy tropes or any number of things about them. I realized that objectively it was not important because I still needed to interact with real people offline where everything wasn't geared towards me and my love for Tolkien's books and where I had to try to talk about other subjects. Hence, I tried to not tie my identity to the things I liked growing up.

But nowadays people can behave like the worst assholes imaginable online because they can spend unlimited amounts of time buried in their fandoms online where everyone else reinforces how important that thing is that they like and so noone's there to say 'it's just fiction and maybe you shouldn't take it so seriously'. They care so much about the most insignificant details because if one thing isn't significant, what if something else isn't? What if nothing about any of these fictional worlds matters, despite the fact that these people invested so much time and money in it? And if you suggest that it isn't important, some of them might not like to hear that.

The Last Jedi effectively says that the lore and the details are not important and that failure is important for your personal growth as a person. But to tell that story, you need to undercut a lot of what Star Wars fans have come to care about over the years: every side-character has some secret story that is just full of detail and adventure and possibilities, there are cool lightsaber battles and everything links together perfectly...when the Star wars universe itself looks very small nowadays because it always had to come back to that one thing: the Skywalker family....and this film breaks with that (though not entirely). But the fans were told that this is what Star Wars was....well, why can't it be something else?

I hope the haters aren't discouraging Rian. I loved TLJ and I'm all for a complete new Star Wars trilogy. I think it's in more than capable hands with Rian. Fingers crossed he gets Villeneuve on board to direct one of the three films. Preferably Nolan as well 8-) that'd be a dream team

I bet Rian will shoot his new Star Wars film in 65mm and IMAX lol he wanted to shoot TLJ completely in 65mm.

Nomis wrote:I hope the haters aren't discouraging Rian. I loved TLJ and I'm all for a complete new Star Wars trilogy. I think it's in more than capable hands with Rian. Fingers crossed he gets Villeneuve on board to direct one of the three films. Preferably Nolan as well 8-) that'd be a dream team

I bet Rian will shoot his new Star Wars film in 65mm and IMAX lol he wanted to shoot TLJ completely in 65mm.
I totally agree. I'm super excited for the new trilogy. Did he really want to film on 65mm? Why didn't he? He could've easily done it and it would've looked great.

Yeah he wanted to but logistical reasons made it impossible. That was before Kodak could develop 65mm in England so... Hence why IX will be shot entirely in 65mm and IMAX.