The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Dobson wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 2:59 pm
anikom15 wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 2:53 pm
m4st4 wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 1:11 am
Director of Meet the Feebles and The Frighteners.
I legit have never heard of either of these movies.
Those are movies Peter Jackson made before LotR
The fact that I still don’t know them means they’re either really obscure or internet hipster’s just haven’t discovered 90’s horror yet. (I loved Scream!)

Usually you hear about how ‘good’ these movies are once the director becomes prime.

Dobson wrote:
anikom15 wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 1:11 am
Director of Meet the Feebles and The Frighteners.
This is fucking hilarious.

anikom15 wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 3:15 pm
Dobson wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

The fact that I still don’t know them means they’re either really obscure or internet hipster’s just haven’t discovered 90’s horror yet. (I loved Scream!)

Usually you hear about how ‘good’ these movies are once the director becomes prime.
ya got slammed anikom there's no backing out

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
July 31st, 2018, 12:57 am
anikom15 wrote:
July 30th, 2018, 3:15 pm
Dobson wrote:

ya got slammed anikom there's no backing out
Don’t pick fights with friends buddy.

Amazon's The Lord of the Rings series confirms setting: 'Welcome to the Second Age'
As author J.R.R. Tolkien once said of writing his Middle-earthian books, “I wisely started with a map.” So, over the past couple of weeks, Amazon too started promoting its forthcoming The Lord of the Rings series by releasing a series of maps. While they sparked a lively debate from fans about what they all mean for the series, the time period setting is now confirmed.

“Welcome to the Second Age,” Amazon tweeted on Thursday morning.

A long-standing theory posited the series would focus on a younger Aragorn, played in Peter Jackson’s films by Viggo Mortensen. However, that character, the future ruler of Gondor, was born during the Third Age. So we can nix that rumor right now.

The Second Age is also known as “The Age of Númenor.” Fans will notice that, in the most recently updated map for the Amazon fantasy epic, the island of Númenor is shown in the bottom left corner.

It’s not yet clear whether Númenor will serve as a major setting for Amazon’s The Lord of the Rings, though its presence already answers some questions.

Númenor is considered a mythic lost city of men in the world of Middle-earth, one established on an island in the Great Sea that had been destroyed for thousands of years by the time of Frodo and Aragorn. In The Second Age, according to Tolkien lore, it was said that the island was brought up from the ocean as a gift to men by the Valar (the gods of Middle-earth). The kingdom would later fall after they defy the laws of the deities.

The Second Age also sees the development of the Elven City of Rivendell, the Dark Lord Sauron famously forging the dark Ring of Power, and the races of elves, men, and dwarves all uniting to fight him for the first. The period spans about 3,441 years, so there’s a lot of ground to potentially cover.

JD Payne and Patrick McKay will serve as showrunners for this reportedly costly fantasy epic after their work on Star Trek 4 and Jungle Cruise. Casting is still under wraps for the moment.

I’m more interested in this now.

Oh man, so there's going to be almost none of the characters from Jackson's trilogy in this? Way more in. Make it where PJ's trilogy is the definitive version of LotR and enhance the world.

Ah so down the line we're going to see Akallabêth, that's neat.

Bryan Cogman is trading one iconic fantasy world for another.

Cogman, who most recently worked as a writer and co-executive producer on “Game of Thrones,” has signed on to consult on the upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series at Amazon, Variety has learned from sources. He will work alongside the writing team of JD Payne and Patrick McKay, who were announced to be developing the series for Amazon back in July. Amazon declined to comment.

Cogman joins the series after having signed an overall deal with Amazon back in September. He began his time on “Game of Thrones” as the assistant to series creators and showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. He was known for having an encyclopedic knowledge of the world of Westeros created by George R.R. Martin. The final episode he wrote for that series was the second episode of Season 8, “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.”

Cogman was also one of the writers chosen to develop a new series set in the “Game of Thrones” universe, but he confirmed in an interview with Variety in April that his project was not moving forward. He is also attached to write the screenplay for the new live-action version of “The Sword in the Stone.”

Little is known about the “Lord of the Rings” series beyond the fact it will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Fellowship of the Ring.”
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lord-o ... 203222753/