Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've been reading a lot of people complain about the dimness of the 3D for this film. Seems like if you want to see it in 3D, do so in Digital IMAX. Currently the brightest systems out there.

Crazy Eight wrote:I've been reading a lot of people complain about the dimness of the 3D for this film. Seems like if you want to see it in 3D, do so in Digital IMAX. Currently the brightest systems out there.

That's the presentation I'll be seeing it in tonight. Giant IMAX digital projection.

Crazy Eight wrote:I've been reading a lot of people complain about the dimness of the 3D for this film. Seems like if you want to see it in 3D, do so in Digital IMAX. Currently the brightest systems out there.
Well, it is the main problem of 3D, fact is movie theaters are being cheap and reduce lamp brightness for 3D to make savings. Home theater 3D projection is actually getting far superior to the experience in theaters, plenty of super bright 3D projectors.

Let's hope the laser projectors for IMAX show up soon enough, enough of the dimness !

Jax_Teller wrote:
Peace wrote:
lol sorry.

I was typing in a hurry.

The Amazing Spiderman.
Ah yes. What they did with the 3D on this movie is weird. I've read complaints that a bunch of the movie doesnt seem to be IN 3D, and it is correct, most of it is 3D with very little separation, meaning you remove the glasses, and you can see very clearly as it appears to be 2D. However, they cranked up the 3D on the action scenes and it does look great on those scenes, seeing Spidey coming out of the screen, the first person view shots look glorious too, the swinging looks fantastic, very immersive. Just disappointed that they chose to dial down the 3D for dialogue or narrative scenes.

Although TASM 2 will be a conversion, shot on film, I think they'll really use it more this time, has the potential to be spectacular with Electro, and more Spidey greatness.

Plus, 3D conversions are really getting better and better, Jurassic Park looks stunning, Titanic did too. I'll see STID in 3D since the prologue looked really good, I wont see World War Z in 3D for example because you can tell it'll be a rushed job, and too much cutting for the 3D to be comfortable, however, movies like Pacific Rim (since ILM can render, as Del Toro said (and he made sure that it looks appropriate), all the stuff in native 3D for all the CG elements) or The Wolverine could look really cool in 3D.

Sorry for my big talk about 3D but it's really something that I dig when it's well done and smartly used. Iron Man 3 looks rubbish in 3D, they dont use it all, very little depth, missed opportunity here.

A movie like The Great Gatsby definitely benefits from 3D, it's the prime example of a movie where the 3D is so natural (well at least to me, I never had any problem enjoying 3D, no headaches or anything) that you tend to forget about it, because it feels right, but remove the glasses and see the picture flatten, in TGG for example, the 3D draws you in and even IMO makes narrative scenes such a simple dialogue more palpable and intimate, by showing you the different layers of the shots, having that clear separation of what constitutes foreground, background, position of the actors, etc.
It did have some oh cool 3D moments no doubt. Still I left like it was more of an after thought :think:

If digital IMAX is the brightest maybe it won't look too bad on the IMAX here.. still I ain't gonna spend the extra cash.
Say Girl

Half an hour to go, we'll see how it holds the second time round.
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- :x

Cumberbatch can really chew the scenery. :twothumbsup:

Well, I've just seen this. It was good but I would be lying if I didn't say I left a bit disappointed, I was expecting something else. Star Trek (2009) is [quite] superior, in my opinion. More detailed thoughts tomorrow...
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

I liked it, was entertaining; However I thought Star Trek (2009) was better.

Cumberbatch the GOAT, not enough time for him tbh, I wanted more

Still a good movie that I highly recommend to go see

I felt it superior to Star Trek (2009) in certain situations, but lacking in others; however, I can say that it is the better of the two and -- this may be an unpopular opinion -- is the best sci-fi film in the 33 years since 1980 (guess which one still tops it?). In IMAX 3D, it was good. I'm not normally a fan of 3D especially not post-conversions, but for it being a post-conversion, the depth really worked well especially in the exterior space shots. This is definitely more enjoyable for fans such as myself, but I know it was enjoyed very well by the friends I saw it with that aren't huge fans.
President and Chief Financial Officer of The Official Faora Fan Club Est. 2013

FreakLikeMe wrote:I felt it superior to Star Trek (2009) in certain situations, but lacking in others; however, I can say that it is the better of the two and -- this may be an unpopular opinion -- is the best sci-fi film in the 33 years since 1980 (guess which one still tops it?).
. . . Inception?
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender