Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:Memo to Damon Lindelof: If you're going to crib or riff off a classic, robust film with iconography and key moments, make damn sure the film you're making hits roughly the same mark.

I finally realised that I was a Trekkie while watching STID, purely due to the amount of times I was shaking my head.
Saw it last night, and yeah, what the Right Honorable Mr. Fancypants said. To the letter.

So called trekkies, you need to calm down this time round and just watch the goddamn movie. I can only imagine how sick J.J.'s Episode VII will be.

d4mi4n wrote:So called trekkies, you need to calm down this time round and just watch the goddamn movie. I can only imagine how sick J.J.'s Episode VII will be.
Yeah...as a minor Trekkie I kind of understand the dislike of the direction the rebooted series has taken, but I don't understand the need for snobbery because of it. *shrug*

To be fair, both posters quite liked or even loved the 2009 Star Trek.

-Vader

Damn, I was I hoping I could watch it on opening day here, but can't as I've to prepare for a presentation on Tuesday. So Tuesday evening it is then.

Vader182 wrote:To be fair, both posters quite liked or even loved the 2009 Star Trek.

-Vader
Which is ridiculous, considering how this time round you get even more fan service. There's this whole layer that goes side by side with another Star Trek classic and I was astonished how well they pulled it off, it made sense, it was highly emotional and just the right thing to do.

d4mi4n wrote:
Vader182 wrote:To be fair, both posters quite liked or even loved the 2009 Star Trek.

-Vader
Which is ridiculous, considering how this time round you get even more fan service. There's this whole layer that goes side by side with another Star Trek classic and I was astonished how well they pulled it off, it made sense, it was highly emotional and just the right thing to do.
My thoughts exactly, although part of me did and still wishes
they hadn't gone with 1) Khan and 2) "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!". Did bring the film down for me.

So how much of the film was shot with IMAX? How did it look, if anyone's seen it that way yet?
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

d4mi4n wrote:

-Vader
Fan service is not a good thing.

What would be nice is staying true to what Roddenberry's concepts are and what the spirit of Star Trek is, which is about a literal journey into the unknown that is a metaphorical journey into humanity.

Star Trek Into Darkness is a journey into Opposite Day.
darthnazgul wrote:So how much of the film was shot with IMAX? How did it look, if anyone's seen it that way yet?
Less than TDK if memory serves, or perhaps around the same mark. It's quite spectacular though, well worth it.
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

d4mi4n wrote:

-Vader
I do not want fan service. I do not want, or need, filmmakers who condescend to me, who assume that if they toss in a moment or a line or a character that I recognize, I'll be so damned grateful that I'll be willing to overlook their lack of effort elsewhere. If I wish to watch the aforementioned Star Trek classic, I can do so anytime I choose; I don't need to shell out $20 AU to see its most iconic scene re-enacted almost word for word. A better tribute to that scene would've been to come up with an original one that equals its power.