The Great Gatsby (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I must say I'm surprised at how much I loved the movie. It was a fabulous experience - the entire cast was great but DiCaprio in particular is so amazing. No wonder he is the finest actor of his generation. :clap:

I'll just say that, as someone who has a deep, personal fondness for the book, I found this movie to be really bad and kind of insulting. I don't detest Luhrmann's style but I don't think it's well suited for the source material in the slightest. All the subtleties of the novel were just thrown out the window and replaced with what is essentially an endless cycle of music videos. The first half in particular was just a relentless assault on the senses. I think that the choice to have the movie in 3D is really indicative of what Luhrmann cares about and what he wanted to achieve in this movie because there is absolutely nothing in the source material that you read and think "oh, that would be great to see in 3D". Maybe I'm just being a bit too harsh because of my feelings towards Fitzgerald's novel but I thought the film was completely empty, really obnoxious and actually rather uninteresting. I will say that the cast tried hard and with another director, this could have been a very competent adaptation. Di Caprio's accent was kind of weird, though, and I have no idea why he repeatedly failed to pronounce the "t" at the end of "sport".

Sandy wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I can't imagine Baz's film making sense to anyone seeing it in twenty or thirty years.

-Vader
I forgot this point in my review. That's the strength and weakness of the style he chose.
I love your avi :lol:

Do you have a larger version of it?

edit: NVM, found it on google!

Last edited by MiracleSleeper on May 18th, 2013, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiracleSleeper wrote:
Sandy wrote:
I forgot this point in my review. That's the strength and weakness of the style he chose.
I love your avi :lol:

Do you have a larger version of it?

^^Thankyou anyway! :-D

Allstar wrote:Thoughts on
Baz's cameo?
How was he? I actually missed it. Someone told me he's in it for a couple of seconds.

eromero wrote:
Allstar wrote:Thoughts on
Baz's cameo?
How was he? I actually missed it. Someone told me he's in it for a couple of seconds.
Yeah he doesn't have a line, he is just seen as a waiter. :lol:

I thought it was funny.

ResurrectionRas wrote:I'll just say that, as someone who has a deep, personal fondness for the book, I found this movie to be really bad and kind of insulting. I don't detest Luhrmann's style but I don't think it's well suited for the source material in the slightest. All the subtleties of the novel were just thrown out the window and replaced with what is essentially an endless cycle of music videos. The first half in particular was just a relentless assault on the senses. I think that the choice to have the movie in 3D is really indicative of what Luhrmann cares about and what he wanted to achieve in this movie because there is absolutely nothing in the source material that you read and think "oh, that would be great to see in 3D". Maybe I'm just being a bit too harsh because of my feelings towards Fitzgerald's novel but I thought the film was completely empty, really obnoxious and actually rather uninteresting. I will say that the cast tried hard and with another director, this could have been a very competent adaptation. Di Caprio's accent was kind of weird, though, and I have no idea why he repeatedly failed to pronounce the "t" at the end of "sport".
As someone who has a deep love for the novel as well, I feel that the "music video" risks that Luhrmann took allowed me to enter into the world he created. He only made two real missteps imo, but I see where you're coming from.

I disliked the Jay z song, and especially the Beyonce song. I loved both Lena del Ray, and Florence and the Machine, so great.

Durden wrote:I disliked the Jay z song, and especially the Beyonce song. I loved both Lena del Ray, and Florence and the Machine, so great.
Lana and Florence fit PERFECTLY. Two great scenes.