The Great Gatsby (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Peace wrote:
prince0gotham wrote:But Jax was the one who said Robin is being idiotic and doesn't understand a lot about movies and you know he does. If you don't have to defend your right to dislike something, as you just said, blame Jaxx for telling that to Robin, don't blame me for explaining to Jaxx what Robin meant, which Jaxx never really disproved anyway.

Don't know, but the increasing overuse of overstylization sure can be.

I like parts of it as i said today, I know it can work sometimes and I know that a lot of the times it can't.
It can't work for YOU. But what if it works for someone else? What if they really enjoy it all of it?
You're talking about enjoying. I wasn't, neither was Robin. Someone who's very interested in a film or a film's element to work on many levels and not just that of enjoyment may or may not want to care about whether it can be enjoyable for him or others. I've always thought Robin is way too picky and the movie doesn't look exactly shallow for me but the point is there, overstylization can kill substance or at least it sure can kill the subtance that can be had without it or without distracting elements (distracting viewer's wise or even production-wise).

He was saying how it is for him then Jaxx made it about himself. Now you two complain that we don't get why you'd disagree...

shadow123 wrote:
best trailer yet in my book. :clap:

prince0gotham wrote:
Peace wrote:
It can't work for YOU. But what if it works for someone else? What if they really enjoy it all of it?
You're talking about enjoying. I wasn't, neither was Robin. Someone who's very interested in a film or a film's element to work on many levels and not just that of enjoyment may or may not want to care about whether it can be enjoyable for him or others. I've always thought Robin is way too picky and the movie doesn't look exactly shallow for me but the point is there, overstylization can kill substance or at least it sure can kill the subtance that can be had without it or without distracting elements (distracting viewer's wise or even production-wise).

He was saying how it is for him then Jaxx made it about himself. Now you two complain that we don't get why you'd disagree...
They way Robin spoke on the matter tho.. like it was in deed a fact the film will be shit. And then he dumped on Burton.. wtf was that about? He just feel like taking a shit on everyone today? :lol:
Say Girl

I agree with those who said that there was way too much music in this trailer. I don't like Beyonce, I like Florence and the Machine though, but IMO her music doesn't suit this film. Out of all, Lana del Rey's song was okay.

And I'm still not sure what to think of this movie. Visually, it could be spectacular, but other than that.. Don't know. It also could have some great performances, but Leo.. Hard to judge from trailers, but he looks like overacting. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Peace wrote:
prince0gotham wrote: You're talking about enjoying. I wasn't, neither was Robin. Someone who's very interested in a film or a film's element to work on many levels and not just that of enjoyment may or may not want to care about whether it can be enjoyable for him or others. I've always thought Robin is way too picky and the movie doesn't look exactly shallow for me but the point is there, overstylization can kill substance or at least it sure can kill the subtance that can be had without it or without distracting elements (distracting viewer's wise or even production-wise).

They way Robin spoke on the matter tho.. like it was in deed a fact the film will be shit. And then he dumped on Burton.. wtf was that about? He just feel like taking a shit on everyone today? :lol:
Robin actually always has talked like that. And you know he just says these things but doesn't bother people with them. He's not exactly active at all which is why it's fine. He doesn't quote someone and tell him he's wrong. He says it how he thinks it and doesn't bother with arguments, which is why it's ok while it usually wouldn't have been. I've learned a long time ago not to be bothered by his pickyness because it's just that.

prince0gotham wrote:
Peace wrote:
Robin actually always has talked like that. And you know he just says these things but doesn't bother people with them. He's not exactly active at all which is why it's fine. He doesn't quote someone and tell him he's wrong. He says it how he thinks it and doesn't bother with arguments, which is why it's ok while it usually wouldn't have been. I've learned a long time ago not to be bothered by his pickyness because it's just that.
Cool. I never really thought of it like that. He doesn't tell others they are wrong. So :twothumbsup:
Say Girl

Allstar wrote:best trailer yet in my book. :clap:
I agree. I think is the best one. Even Tobey looks better in this one. With a cast like this, I’m hoping for some great performances
Ruth wrote:I agree with those who said that there was way too much music in this trailer. I don't like Beyonce, I like Florence and the Machine though, but IMO her music doesn't suit this film. Out of all, Lana del Rey's song was okay.

And I'm still not sure what to think of this movie. Visually, it could be spectacular, but other than that.. Don't know. It also could have some great performances, but Leo.. Hard to judge from trailers, but he looks like overacting. Or maybe I'm wrong.
I don’t think he’s overacting. I take it you’re referring to the portion of the trailer where he’s screaming at Joel Edgerton. As someone who’s read the book that is a very important scene in the film and where everything starts to unravel for Gatsby. I already prefer Leo’s acting choices to what Robert Redford gave us in the 1974 version. That scene where Gatsby and Tom Buchanan go toe to toe was so disappointing to watch in the 1974 version. I know someone who saw a test screening of the film last year and he told me that was the best scene in the entire film. That Leo and Joel nailed it. Edgerton appears to be a formidable adversary to Leo’s Gatsby

eromero wrote:
Ruth wrote:I agree with those who said that there was way too much music in this trailer. I don't like Beyonce, I like Florence and the Machine though, but IMO her music doesn't suit this film. Out of all, Lana del Rey's song was okay.

I don’t think he’s overacting. I take it you’re referring to the portion of the trailer where he’s screaming at Joel Edgerton. As someone who’s read the book that is a very important scene in the film and where everything starts to unravel for Gatsby. I already prefer Leo’s acting choices to what Robert Redford gave us in the 1974 version. That scene where Gatsby and Tom Buchanan go toe to toe was so disappointing to watch in the 1974 version. I know someone who saw a test screening of the film last year and he told me that was the best scene in the entire film. That Leo and Joel nailed it. Edgerton appears to be a formidable adversary to Leo’s Gatsby
I'm not referring to the scene where he screams. And as it said - I'm probably wrong and he'll be great. I remember one short scene from a tv spot where he said something like "I just let myself go.." It just felt unnatural to me. Eh, I just don't know how to explain it. I like Leo and I do hope this will be a great performance.

And I've read the book. Though it happened a few years ago, so I might not remember some details.

Getting hot and heavy here. By the way, I wasnt addressing the shallowness, but the part about the overstylization, and the visual aspect. Thanks for putting words in my mouth, I actually know what I'm saying and talking about......

The part where Leo screams is such great acting, makes me excited to see his performance.

You were adressing his post which was talking about the shallowness of overstylization, which you basically disputed with 'It's just different'.

I can't get how you can exclude the shallowness he mentioned and still adequately comment on his post.