The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
cooldued wrote:Well the first step to solving the solution is addressing it. But the audience has a right to be turned off by 3D, other than avatar and transformers there hasn't been a decent 3D film. And most of the a-list filmmakers are jumping on board and saying this is the future. They haven't experience what we have, their so excluded from the real world that they forget what 10 bucks at the cinema means anymore. 3D films use to be a treat but now it over saturated, 3D is a gimmick and doesn't enhance the quality of the film, that's the story. I like that steven admitted that 3D isn't for every film, wish he could tell that to his buddy cameron, who f***ing won't stop with 3D should be with every film.
True, but I don't think Cameron would listen to Steven even if he did say something.

On a separate note, I really dig how unique each of the dwarves looks. Aside from two hairdos (Nori's cornrow gone wrong and Bofur looking like the survivor of a lightning strike), I really like them--especially Thorin. This makes me curious to see what Samug and Beorn will look like.

I also like that their incorporating other events from Middle Earth into this (White Council, Dol Goldur). The only things I'm not sure on are the first film's subtitle--An Unexpected Journey, which seems so bland compared to There and Back Again--and Benedict Cumberbatch doing motion capture for Smaug. I get that having an actor in a mo-cap suit gives the other actors something to react to, but how does a human mimic a giant flying reptile?

Corran Horn wrote:
cooldued wrote:Well the first step to solving the solution is addressing it. But the audience has a right to be turned off by 3D, other than avatar and transformers there hasn't been a decent 3D film. And most of the a-list filmmakers are jumping on board and saying this is the future. They haven't experience what we have, their so excluded from the real world that they forget what 10 bucks at the cinema means anymore. 3D films use to be a treat but now it over saturated, 3D is a gimmick and doesn't enhance the quality of the film, that's the story. I like that steven admitted that 3D isn't for every film, wish he could tell that to his buddy cameron, who f***ing won't stop with 3D should be with every film.
True, but I don't think Cameron would listen to Steven even if he did say something.

On a separate note, I really dig how unique each of the dwarves looks. Aside from two hairdos (Nori's cornrow gone wrong and Bofur looking like the survivor of a lightning strike), I really like them--especially Thorin. This makes me curious to see what Samug and Beorn will look like.

I also like that their incorporating other events from Middle Earth into this (White Council, Dol Goldur). The only things I'm not sure on are the first film's subtitle--An Unexpected Journey, which seems so bland compared to There and Back Again--and Benedict Cumberbatch doing motion capture for Smaug. I get that having an actor in a mo-cap suit gives the other actors something to react to, but how does a human mimic a giant flying reptile?
I disagree about the title... for Bilbo it literally is the beginning of an unexpected journey... I don't really see how it's more bland than There and Back Again. Both of the titles are self explanatory. As for Benedict in the mo-cap suit... what ever it is they've figured out a way; like with Serkis as Kong I expect he'll have prosthetic limbs in the shape of wings... you won't even notice in the final product.

The titles are perfect, as they are some of Bilbo's titles for The Red Book:

My Diary.
My Unexpected Journey.
There and Back Again.

And What Happened After.
Adventures of Five Hobbits.
The Tale of the Great Ring, compiled by Bilbo Baggins from his own observations and the accounts of his friends.
What we did in the War of the Ring.

THE DOWNFALL OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS AND THE RETURN OF THE KING

(as seen by the Little People; being the memoirs of Bilbo and Frodo of the Shire, supplemented by the accounts of their friends and the learning of the Wise.)

P.S - What do you guys think about Evangeline Lily being cast as Tauriel [a totally new character]?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/06 ... ion-begin/

oracle86 wrote:P.S - What do you guys think about Evangeline Lily being cast as Tauriel [a totally new character]?

For a while I was thinking that PJ maybe wants to bring Tom Bombadil to the movie and Evangeline Lily is going to play as Goldberry.

It's a pity, because no one probably would ever remake LOTR and this was our last chance to see Tom Bombadil on the big screen.

Nowadays people mostly care about Aragorn and Legolas but he was one of the most popular characters back in 60 and 70 between LOTR fans.

mastervirgo wrote:
oracle86 wrote:P.S - What do you guys think about Evangeline Lily being cast as Tauriel [a totally new character]?

For a while I was thinking that PJ maybe wants to bring Tom Bombadil to the movie and Evangeline Lily is going to play as Goldberry.

It's a pity, because no one probably would ever remake LOTR and this was our last chance to see Tom Bombadil on the big screen.

Nowadays people mostly care about Aragorn and Legolas but he was one of the most popular characters back in 60 and 70 between LOTR fans.
It was probably because of all the weed they were all smoking. I mean that quite seriously. Tolkien was a notorious casual smoker of the stuff, and Tom was certainly a manifestation of that :lol: .

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:It was probably because of all the weed they were all smoking. I mean that quite seriously. Tolkien was a notorious casual smoker of the stuff, and Tom was certainly a manifestation of that :lol: .

-Vader
:lol: so is Gandalf who as a lot of people believe, was based on some of Tolkien himself's mannerism and attitudes.

mastervirgo wrote:
Vader182 wrote:It was probably because of all the weed they were all smoking. I mean that quite seriously. Tolkien was a notorious casual smoker of the stuff, and Tom was certainly a manifestation of that :lol: .

-Vader
:lol: so is Gandalf who as a lot of people believe, was based on some of Tolkien himself's mannerism and attitudes.
Your love of the Halflings' leaf has clearly clouded your mind
:lol: :lol:

-Vader

Thought you'd like em'.