The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This new "trilogy" is a blatant money grab. :D

Peace wrote:This new "trilogy" is a blatant money grab. :D
lol

More like: the fact that they've made it into a trilogy rather than keeping it at two films is a blatant money-grab.
Skyab23 wrote: The special effects for the three LOTR films still holds up very well...I personally wouldn't know the difference between a screen grab from this and from a film in 2012.

I'm just thankful Return of the King wasn't cut in two.

Couldn't The Hobbit have been one film? Two would have been ok. Three? Fuck that..

I find any explanation or justification for the book to be split into three parts bullshit. There is not enough content. lol Oh yeah they are using the Return appendix. That has enough material for them to make three two hour and forty five minute films.

If you enjoy the films... well that's cool. I'm happy for you, but deep down you know they are being whores with the material. You just so happen to be buying.

I'm not a Hobbit junkie. I know we have a few of those on this board though.

Peace wrote:I'm just thankful Return of the King wasn't cut in two.

Couldn't The Hobbit have been one film? Two would have been ok. Three? Fuck that..

I find any explanation or justification for the book to be split into three parts bullshit. There is not enough content. lol Oh yeah they are using the Return appendix. That has enough material for them to make three two hour and forty five minute films.

If you enjoy the films... well that's cool. I'm happy for you, but deep down you know they are being whores with the material. You just so happen to be buying.

My inner nerd is happy to see three more Tolkien films.
My common sense how ever would like to punch Peter Jackson in the face.
An Unexpected Journey.. holy hell. You seriously can't stretch a movie more.

Yeah they kinda are whoring it out a bit. Honestly, I would have preferred it be only two films, but if PJ can pull off the next two without it failing, then I'll still be happy. I always welcome more films from this universe.

Peace wrote: I find any explanation or justification for the book to be split into three parts bullshit.
And that's why nobody listens or agrees with you. You strike down any reason something could or could not happen and you're stubborn enough to not realize that there might be some good reason why.

He's not just adapting The Hobbit...ugh
Dol Guldur battle, White Counsel that's nowhere in the Appendices of RoTK
We have a chance to see crazy stuff in Middle-Earth history that I never thought would be filmed

Without delving into spoiler territory, almost all of the extended plotlines and time spent focusing on different things isn't just excess padding in an already massive couch. That stuff is as much the story of these three films as the Dwarves, even if it isn't the narrative focus. This will become crystal clear in later installments.

Whether or not you think it meshes appropriately with the main arc is a different story, but many fans find the 'Dol Guldur" story arc amongst the very best in the entire Tolkien mythos, and I'm among them. Arguably, all the Jar Jar Binks nonsense with Radagast was to stave off how dark that storyline will go for the first film, before the 'dark' content of the other more main arcs catch up.

-Vader