2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I have watch this film numerous times and i have to say
i was bored by it!

could someone please help me understand why even today it is appreciated by the general pubic that it is fantastic?
keep in mind i am 15.

#1fan wrote:keep in mind i am 15.
Then why are we having this discussion? :think:
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Because it is visually stunning. The music is terrific. It is very atmospheric. It has a sense of mystery. The premise of the story is really intriguing to me.
I find the slow pace of the movie to be relaxing actually. I'm not always in the mood for a high octane thriller. Sometimes I want something that I can sit back, watch, and just chill out.

And I love sci-fi that deals with outer space. These are a few of the many reasons why I love 2001 A Space Odyssey.

But the movie is not for everyone. There's no rule that you have to enjoy to movie. If you didn't like it, so what? Give it another try in a few years, and see what you think about it. If you still hate it, then move on. There are plenty of beloved movies that I don't care for too much.

steveportee wrote:Because it is visually stunning. The music is terrific. It is very atmospheric. It has a sense of mystery. The premise of the story is really intriguing to me.
I find the slow pace of the movie to be relaxing actually. I'm not always in the mood for a high octane thriller. Sometimes I want something that I can sit back, watch, and just chill out.

And I love sci-fi that deals with outer space. These are a few of the many reasons why I love 2001 A Space Odyssey.

But the movie is not for everyone. There's no rule that you have to enjoy to movie. If you didn't like it, so what? Give it another try in a few years, and see what you think about it. If you still hate it, then move on. There are plenty of beloved movies that I don't care for too much.
:clap:
The reason why I liked was because I felt like I was watching a piece of timeless art not a movie.The music,the visuals,the atmosphere-everything was so perfect...

The slow pacing captured the setting of space and supernatural mystery perfectly. Sorry if you were expecting a George Lucas extravaganza, but I found it extremely captivating (at least on second viewing). Watch it again and don't think of it as a sci-fi film, but rather what the title suggests... "a space odyssey". ;)

#1fan wrote:I have watch this film numerous times and i have to say
i was bored by it!

could someone please help me understand why even today it is appreciated by the general pubic that it is fantastic?
keep in mind i am 15.
because it has Stanley Kubrick's name on it

THAT'S WHY :)

I just see the film as visually amazing for its time.

thrice wrote: because it has Stanley Kubrick's name on it
Not true. I'm not a fan of all of Kubrick's movies. For example, I didn't enjoy Clockwork Orange very much. And while I haven't seen it, the response for Eyes Wide Shut was pretty mixed. So, people don't love 2001 just because Kubrick made it.

Eyes Wide Shut is quite underrated IMHO. I felt it gets better with repeat viewings. It's typical Kubrick with a capital K. Perhaps it gets slated so much because Tom Cruise played the lead...