The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
prince0gotham wrote:
Meraxes wrote:Fair enough, but Lisbeth's character does not give a fuck about people, and at least not emotionally. She has been through more than enough to never trust anyone. And after working and fucking together with Mikael, she suddenly decides to fall in love? Cliche, yes. Then again, a man wrote her character. It would be interesting if a woman did.
most people that tell themselves they can't trust anyone are secretly obsessed with the search for someone they CAN trust

remember, she's like 22 or something, not 42

still a fragile and naive age, not to mention that most people would call 'foolishly trusting someone' naive, but what's more naive is believing she should hate and avoid everyone just because she can't trust them

Everything about her is as much as sign of toughness as it is a sign of insecurity so she's always torn between the two worlds, one ofc being the more obvious but, as we saw in the movie, little is needed for her to flip the other side.

though that 'little' is rare
Well put. The hidden fragility is what Rooney managed to portray quite well now that I think about it. I just felt the sudden love interest for Mikael was just that..sudden. But the more I have given it thought the past minutes, the better the ending becomes. She thought she might have found something again, but reality smacked her in the face.

I have never been more impressed with the quality and presentation of special features more than with Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Other companies should clue into how this is done.

There are so many interviews with not only the cast but the crew as well. Every piece is really enjoyable. Worth every penny I paid for it.

Meraxes wrote:Fair enough, but Lisbeth's character does not give a fuck about people, and at least not emotionally. She has been through more than enough to never trust anyone. And after working and fucking together with Mikael, she suddenly decides to fall in love? Cliche, yes. Then again, a man wrote her character. It would be interesting if a woman did.
I'll be plain and quick. David Fincher adapted Stieg Larsson's book - in it, Lisbeth is a living and breathing character, flesh and blood, just like any other girl, except she's also an emotional wreck. In the end she finds that, in fact, she does have some feelings toward Mikael, but he decides to go with Erika. So that's that. She's not a Terminator (popular topic here on NF).

Meraxes wrote:
Well put. The hidden fragility is what Rooney managed to portray quite well now that I think about it. I just felt the sudden love interest for Mikael was just that..sudden. But the more I have given it thought the past minutes, the better the ending becomes. She thought she might have found something again, but reality smacked her in the face.
Not sure but I think I was like that in the first moments after I saw where it was all going. Then I was saddened by the ending so i stopped thinking about whether it's cliche or not, then at the second viewing I thought about the fragility issue and how defining it is for her and her character. It's interesting cuz they will work again and will have to trust again and she'll be wiser and more mature next time she decides to trust him.

Basically, Lisbeth trusting people or not doesn't decide whether or not she can function on her own (ofc she can), but it decides whether she can function in society and whether or not she's 'lost'.

That conversation where she told about what she did to her father (which I missed to put in the list of hints indicating she's falling in love), I had this whole feeling about her not being lost anymore but being found instead.

lol m4st4 that's just what i was gonna type in my previous post, about her not being a terminator

In the book there is a way more detailed path towards her trusting Mikael and developing feelings for him that just was left out of the movie.

MSUspartans2211 wrote:I have never been more impressed with the quality and presentation of special features more than with Fincher's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Other companies should clue into how this is done.

There are so many interviews with not only the cast but the crew as well. Every piece is really enjoyable. Worth every penny I paid for it.
I can't wait to get the blu ray simply because of the wealth of extras that are available.

prince0gotham wrote:
Meraxes wrote:
Not sure but I think I was like that in the first moments after I saw where it was all going. Then I was saddened by the ending so i stopped thinking about whether it's cliche or not, then at the second viewing I thought about the fragility issue and how defining it is for her and her character. It's interesting cuz they will work again and will have to trust again and she'll be wiser and more mature next time she decides to trust him.

Basically, Lisbeth trusting people or not doesn't decide whether or not she can function on her own (ofc she can), but it decides whether she can function in society and whether or not she's 'lost'.

That conversation where she told about what she did to her father (which I missed to put in the list of hints indicating she's falling in love), I had this whole feeling about her not being lost anymore but being found instead.

lol m4st4 that's just what i was gonna type in my previous post, about her not being a terminator

...I remember posting like five hundred gifs along with thorough explanation WHY she's not T-101, and talli just quoted me and commented: ''This is what means to be delusional.'' Cracks me up even today. :lol:

mchekhov wrote:In the book there is a way more detailed path towards her trusting Mikael and developing feelings for him that just was left out of the movie.
This is what films in general fails at for me. The ones that have read the book, already know what goes on in the head of the protagonist. But for us who have not read the books, some things feel jumped over, or too sudden. But the more I get to learn about the character, the more I see Rooney's brilliance. And her Swenglish accent is just SO spot on, she has fooled several of my friends who believes she is Swedish.

i haven't read the books or seen the other movies and I think it was pretty well done, you just have to first notice then aknowledge the signs

though the signs here are hard to notice or consider as true signs I know, but I was still sure that she'll fall in love with him like at the moment I saw her browsing his photos, it was just obvious for me where it was going and I think the fact I knew nothing about the book or other movies was a privilege for me

even before that, their first meeting was a summary of so much

she being overly defensive, him being extra cute, her defensiveness proved pointless, him granting her what she craves most

it was their whole relationship in a nutshell... till the ending ofc, but it was saying a lot

so I got no idea how anyone would think 'woah, well that came out of nowhere' when she buys him that jacket

I like how she twitches when he wants to use his Apple, she's clearly uncomfortable with him (male) being around. Then, afterwards, she lets him in.
That's also a spoiler from the last pages of Millennium:

''She decided to let him in, once again.'' (paraphrasing)