City of God (Cidade de Deus)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

A friend recommended this to me, and I just got around to watching it. I honestly don't know how to feel about it. I want to call it a masterpiece, but it's so gritty/realistic, I still have some emotional scars from it (i.e. the scene where the little boy was shot in the foot... The impact of that scene is so incredible, it will haunt me forever). I'm gonna watch it again, and hopefully formulate a real opinion.

But I can honestly say, with full confidence....

City of God >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Slumdog Millionaire

Still need to watch it.

Every single film on the planet > Slumdog Millionaire

Jonas Agersø wrote:Every single film on the planet > Slumdog Millionaire

a little harsh there :lol:

Classic film btw, might rate it higher on my 2nd viewing

micool wrote:
Jonas Agersø wrote:Every single film on the planet > Slumdog Millionaire

a little harsh there :lol:

Classic film btw, might rate it higher on my 2nd viewing
Yea perhaps a little harsh, I just think its an extremely overrated film, 8 Oscars and people calling it the best film ever made back in 2008. It was a fair film yes, but nothing more at all. Boyle has made way better film in the past.

Just watched it again. It's a completely different, more riveting experience. The twisted character psychology, the greed and power, the children as our "future"... IMHO, it's probably the best movie of the decade that was overlooked by a lot of people.

I freaked when Return of the King beat it out for best picture! I believe it's one of the best films of all time. But that's just me. And about slumdog... I really liked it. I saw it with my mom and every five seconds she was covering her face. Tho I do think it was blow way way out of proportion. For that reason my brother never wanted to see it. Then about a year later when all the hype was gone he watched it and liked it. It's a good film. Don't let morons ruin it for you cuz they gave it too much praise.
Say Girl

i definitely feel Slumdog is overrated, then again, its probably the best Danny Boyle film ive seen. I think he's more overrated then the movie :JGLface:

micool wrote:i definitely feel Slumdog is overrated, then again, its probably the best Danny Boyle film ive seen. I think he's more overrated then the movie :JGLface:
Slumdog is one of the most overrated films ever to be successful at oscars. And Trainspotting is way,way bettter than SM. SRSLY dude.. if u haven't seen it ,do urself a favour and see it now. :)

I saw Slumdog once, after that I didn't give a damn about it, it was absolutely average-forgettable film
In the case of "Cidade de Deus", is not like I thought it was epic but every time I hear the name of this movie it takes me back to this extremely violent yet beautifully realistic pictures, the film has such a visual resonance. Amazing :clap: