The Irishman (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
atilasantos wrote:
November 28th, 2019, 5:48 pm
Such a masterpiece. I've been waiting so long for this one
Btw, what a great year for DeNiro: Joker and The Irishman
Top 5 best movies of 2019. Big time!
I love that De Niro, Pacino, Pesci are all in this and that De Niro had Joker and Pacino Once Upon a Time in Hollywood this year.

I love how subtle and subdued Pesci's work in this film is. He usually (or at least in his most well known performances) is very present and for lack of a better word loud.

I hope Pacino (or Pesci) gets the best Supporting Actor nomination, they're both just too damn good.

”What kind of man makes that phone call?” A beautiful portrayal of unbearable guilt. The phone call scene is probably the greatest scene I’ve ever seen portraying moral cowardice.
The last hour is perfect and one of the best things Scorsese has ever done. DeNiro was god level in it.

This movie actually sort of made me sad how much crap Pacino and DeNiro have done in the past 15 years. We could have had so many more legendary performances.

Can't believe all three were basically god tier in this. Still internally debating which one takes the cake for me since all three were such radically different portrayals.

De Niro's performance is the most remarkable of the three, but Pacino is so much damn fun.

I could watch a whole 3.5 hours of just Pacino and Stephen Graham together.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 9:14 am

I could watch a whole 3.5 hours of just Pacino and Stephen Graham together.
So much this.

Pacino is indeed a whole lot of fun to watch but his more quiet moments are even better than that.

I'm glad this is on Netflix in HDR, I watched a bit of it at home and I already notice so much more. Not just visually but seeing it a second time you get a much clearer look at the story, who's who and all that. I think with such a juggernaut of a film a second viewing and probably more after that will make me love this film even more. It's such a rich film and I feel pretty blessed that this exists.

Allstar wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 4:44 am
”What kind of man makes that phone call?” A beautiful portrayal of unbearable guilt. The phone call scene is probably the greatest scene I’ve ever seen portraying moral cowardice.
The last hour is perfect and one of the best things Scorsese has ever done. DeNiro was god level in it.

This movie actually sort of made me sad how much crap Pacino and DeNiro have done in the past 15 years. We could have had so many more legendary performances.

Is it me or is Pacino reading lines on the floor in the "to his fucking father's.." scene? lol

Ok. This is obviously incredibly well made, and it has so many amazing moments, but I can’t lie.... it was quite slow for me in parts. But there is so much good in it that it almost doesn’t matter! I’m conflicted. I agree with what I’ve read in that it is very “rich” and has a ton of shit going on. So maybe a second viewing is in order.

I'm marinating on it. It's good, but I wasn't blown away. Maybe coming late "in the game" to watch the movie and seeing all the glowing reviews made unrealistic expectations.

Also, a little tangent here, but why does Scorsese always get a pass with his constant use of voice-over narration?? Its a easy way to convey necessary information to the audience outside the actual content of the film. Don't have to have dialogue between characters or visual cues. I find that technique a bit of a cheat, though.
People give Nolan crap about his exposition, he should just have constant voice-over narration throughout all his movies to appease these critics