The Irishman (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 6:43 am
The crux shouldn't be on Scorsese to have female or diverse characters in his films. He should make the films he wants to make.

The viewer should be supporting more diverse directors. Directors should be able to tell the stories they want to tell. If you want more strong female characters or more diverse casts, seek out directors who do that and hype them up.
And this is the right take, I don't understand why it's not more obvious to people. Denzel Washington said something quite similar about it too.

Virgo, who hurt you as a child?

There's no need to be condescending in response to Master Virgo, I think all this could be a genuine conversation with genuine arguments. I wanted to ask why Virgo thinks Scorsese's response was ridiculous and I got an answer.

It just seems like Scorsese is forced by some journalists to give answers he doesn't have, and of course it can come out in an awkward way, but... I'm not sure why he's a villain suddenly. He told a number of stories centered around piece of shit people in horrendous societies and groups. He's been always drawn to that world, the world of small people in a huge world becoming powerful and vile, then falling in the end. I agree with solo's assertion that this is something that would usually concern more men than woman, and it's no coincidence that the piece of shit and weak spirited main characters of Scorsese's films are mostly men. Because he told a number of stories about "the world of men": organized crime, religion, etc. Still, not without employing a number of key female characters.

So I really don't see why Scorsese is suddenly the bad guy - I can understand that his comments can come out awkward, but I feel he's annoyed that he's asked questions that have nothing to do with what he wanted to achieve with his films, including The Irishman. That's what he means when he says it's "not even a valid point" to bring up the lack of female characters - he genuinely doesn't get how a journalist could look at his filmography and be concerned with what he's doing on that front. And he doesn't get how the lack of female characters in his film is a valid talking point when it comes to The Irishman - a true story, mind you, once again set in the world of organized crime in the US.

if my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions

Virgo is condescending, so I'm being condescending in return. It's fucking exhausting to see a new outrage every day about something either completely dumb or irrelevant, puzzling.

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 9:41 am
Virgo, who hurt you as a child?
The patriarchy? Genuine answer.

Virgo, as far as his last post on here is concerned, wasn’t condescending in any way, unless calling out the obvious and thus making some of you uncomfortable in return is “condescending”, then I say go right ahead! I’m glad someone is willing to ask uncomfortable questions on here.

But if you can’t handle yourselves in a discussion without resorting to mean spirited, actually condescending woe is me shit, then foe that person and move on. Actual warning.

As an actual woman, good fucking lord, if I even dare so express my thoughts on this topic - I don’t give a damn crap what Scorsese’s films revolve around. Does it kind of suck for a female fan? Yeah it actually kind of does. There’s a crap ton of potential for a filmmaker like Marty to be more inclusive with women, even if he wanted to make another mob/crime film. Hustlers, anyone? However, I’m not one to police an artist and demand quotas or anything, and in general, the burden should be more on the audience to be more supportive of the stuff they actually want to see, instead of forcing people to dance around their ideas, because that’s not free art anymore.

But you guys being soooooo exhausted by “outrage” has to be the whiniest stupidest shit I see on the internet on a daily basis. I can play the smallest violin for you. How freaking sorry I feel for you.

Lol. Anyways, I hope this shit comes out in theaters near me, I am pumped.