Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:01 pm
maybe I'm old fashioned but I don't think being an asshole to other people just doing their job hilarious

-Vader
Phoenix has always been awkward as hell with the press, this is nothing new. It’s just more obvious now with how big this movie was and he’s winning for the first time.

to those of you who haven't seen what happened:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1214 ... ker-speech

dude's clearly blitzed, but there's no excuse for this. he's basically humiliating a journalist* in front of a room of people for no real reason.

Phoenix is one of my favorite actors period, but this behavior isn't okay.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:07 pm

dude's clearly blitzed, but there's no excuse for this. he's basically humiliating a journalist* in front of a room of people for no real reason.

-Vader
This is perfectly normal for a clearly drunk person with a social anxiety on top.
We are processing this as viewers and audience hungry of that blissful celebrity spectacle, but Joaquin is clearly struggling with the whole promotion of art aspect of the industry, he always had that issue. I mean this is the guy who went off the grid for couple of years because of the fact. Imagine our reaction to Brando's antics today, guy was relentless to journos.

He’s socially awkward and has anxiety doing these things. He’s not intentionally trying to be an asshole, his issues are what’s causing him to come across like that. People said the same about Driver doing what he did recently and they were wrong. Give him a break.

My ex has similar issues and stuff that seemed normal to me, for her it was a literal nightmare. Just being aroung people, socializing. Now imagine that sort of person doing it in front of millions.

Vader182 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:07 pm

-Vader
This kind of behavior is basically exactly what one could expect from Joaquin at any given moment.

The question was also an incredibly oversaid and common one, so I'm not surprised he reacted the way he did, even if I don't condone it.

no, you're right, lets empathize with the millionaire humiliating a journalist in front of millions of people

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:32 pm
no, you're right, lets empathize with the millionaire humiliating a journalist in front of millions of people

-Vader
Oh, come on. So one sided.

Perhaps try to at least get both sides. Joaquin was probably humiliated by the deep ends of profession himself, as a celebrity, and is now coping by being an absolute ass... Like many of the celebrities often are. Are we going to throw stones and negate his works as an artist now or what?

And journalist will be fine, I'm sure. Those who take the front line on Golden Globes are used to rough play. Basically, this is just more clicks for a week for them.

Vader182 wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:32 pm

-Vader
Like Allstar said, should we attack Driver for humiliating that journalist that he walked out on because he was uncomfortable and angry the journalist did something/asked something he's made it clear he's already made his opinion known about?

Let’s not pretend journalists aren’t smug assholes 90% of the time. Making less money than someone isn’t an excuse to be an asshole.