Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batman Telltale Series already did the story with Thomas Wayne being a scumbag. Bruce still loved his father and mother because they were good parents to him and he decides to be Batman, but after that his family's dark secrets are revealed. I was skeptical about this take at first but it really worked. It makes his sacrifice that much more selfless.

The whole series is some of the best Batman material in the game/film media. I strongly recommend it. The choices you make in the first season don't really make that big of a difference but the second season really diverges into different endings.

If you haven't played it, I really recommend it.

This Joker is already different by becoming Joker when Bruce is only a kid. That's a much bigger change than the Thomas Wayne variation and I wonder how they'll make it work.

Maybe this is an else world story of what would happen if Bruce never became Batman and how Joker would go on a rampage or a social revolution.

I don't see the problem with Todd Phillips (you heard of Peele?) or the constant rewrites, if anything it makes it more exploratively experimental from what it seems to be. Like, ofc this reminds me of how The Master barely even has a plot and I feel like its JP who totally makes that possible with the way he can let a whole movie be spun around his performance alone. Who knows tho

The guys behind this thing do worry me. But I really dug the trailer.

Batfan175 wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 3:55 pm
It lacks all the conventions of a comicbook movie, like the obligatory batman cameo in the trailer or the references (aside from the Arkham one) to anything from the comics and that way it might actually work.
I'm pretty sure the boy in the trailer is Bruce Wayne.

Dobson wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 8:02 am
Batfan175 wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 3:55 pm
It lacks all the conventions of a comicbook movie, like the obligatory batman cameo in the trailer or the references (aside from the Arkham one) to anything from the comics and that way it might actually work.
I'm pretty sure the boy in the trailer is Bruce Wayne.
Yes, Total Film just confirmed that.

Sanchez wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 5:08 am
The guys behind this thing do worry me.
:oops:

LelekPL wrote:
April 4th, 2019, 4:28 am
Batman Telltale Series already did the story with Thomas Wayne being a scumbag. Bruce still loved his father and mother because they were good parents to him and he decides to be Batman, but after that his family's dark secrets are revealed. I was skeptical about this take at first but it really worked. It makes his sacrifice that much more selfless.

The whole series is some of the best Batman material in the game/film media. I strongly recommend it. The choices you make in the first season don't really make that big of a difference but the second season really diverges into different endings.

If you haven't played it, I really recommend it.

This Joker is already different by becoming Joker when Bruce is only a kid. That's a much bigger change than the Thomas Wayne variation and I wonder how they'll make it work.

Maybe this is an else world story of what would happen if Bruce never became Batman and how Joker would go on a rampage or a social revolution.
I hate those interactive games. I played that Jurassic Park game from 2011 once and it was boring AF. I like playing games where I'm actually playing as the character, not pushing "A" or "B" to see bunch of cutscenes.

Todd Phillips is perfect for this. Pointing fingers at him for his comedic back catalogue given the context and themes of Joker seems almost paradoxical. Also, I'd say this is heavily influenced by Chaplin even more so than the obvious Scorsese connection. All the ingredients are in place for something special.

Phillips will deliver.

I’m still questioning the need for this film, however. Like is this the ‘mental health PSA’ we deserve? Is it connected to anything else in DC?