Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
still seems odd to release a digitally shot film on 70mm lol

cool though

will that ever mean a blu-ray will become available that was mastered from the 70mm print?

Now you can see how gritty society is in 70mm.

Nomis wrote:
July 13th, 2019, 2:10 pm
still seems odd to release a digitally shot film on 70mm lol

cool though

will that ever mean a blu-ray will become available that was mastered from the 70mm print?
funnily enough 70mil is the only way to display alexa 65 footage without a resolution loss

and mastering from a film print would imply they made a print in log or something, then scanned it then graded it, which seems like an exercise in futility

oh lol

so you're telling me

there's a chance?

as for alexa 65, I guess that means they did a DI of 4K, at least? I mean if it was finished in 2K and then printed on 70mm...

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
Digitally shot films in 70mm still look pretty dam good. Kong: Skull Island was shot digitally and it's 70mm print was fucking gorgeous and I imagine the Roma 70mm print looks spectacular to.

Joker is playing the Toronto International Film Festival

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/oscar ... 202160225/

The co-director of the festival had the following to say about it:
"She and artistic director Cameron Bailey were especially impressed by three-time Oscar nominee Joaquin Phoenix’s all-stops-out performance in DC’s “Batman” spin-off “Joker,” directed by Todd Phillips. “It’s an original story, not part of the existing canon,” Bailey said. “It does take the character and a lot of the elements that we know from Joker’s backstory. But it’s an original story that allows the filmmakers to go in an original direction. It’s got some real dark tones to it, but it’s just grounded in this career-best career performance by Joaquin Phoenix. I think all the awards bodies will be taking notice.”

Philips:
Phillips always liked the villainous Joker’s “predilection for mayhem,” and he sees the new film – and a clown-for-hire’s tragic “descent into madness” – as a way to make a 1970s-era character study out of a comic book movie. His star also just happens to be the “ultimate get,” Phillips says. “My goal wasn't to take Joaquin Phoenix and put him in the comic book universe. My goal was to take comic books (universe) and put it in the Joaquin Phoenix universe.” There’s “a darkness that (previous) actors probably had to live in” to play the Joker, and “Joaquin was aware of that,” Phillips adds. “I would say he's unusually comfortable in that space.”
Translated from an Italian article:
You lost a lot of weight for this role. Why?

“I had already lost a lot of weight to play Jesus in Mary Magdalene (opposite fiancée Rooney Mara) and to be honest I had promised myself to never do that again. This time I suggested to Todd an overweight Joker, but most people with the same issues of abuse as Arthur Fleck tend to eat poorly, take drugs (medicine), and so lose weight. So I didn't have a choice. And I went on a diet.”

How long did it take?

“A little more than 3 months, but it was so intense I had to forget my social and private life. I couldn't go out, I didn't see anyone in order to avoid temptations. My only relationship during the period before shooting began was with Todd: I called him everyday to talk about Joker. But in spite of the big sacrifice, this is one of my favorite roles ever.”

Creating the Joker in 1989: throw him into wasted chemicals
Creating the Joker in 2019: throw him into society 😩👌

Student loan debt made him this way

Rated R for "Strong Bloody Violence, Disturbing Behavior, Language and Brief Sexual Images."