Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 7:34 pm
m4st4 wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 7:26 pm
Good on Joaquin for the Bafta speech tonight.
Can't wait for right-wing Joker film stans to get mad at him though.
They got to him though!

Great speech by Phoenix and who gives a damn what idiotic right-wingers and incels think about this film?

I think it's just highlighted so much by other people too. Hell, I only read about those "incels, far right-wing" whatever you want to call it on here lol it feels a lot as if people are way overreacting

Hey remember when media was obnoxious about this movie months before it premiered? 'The streets will burn, this is irresponsible cinema'.

What. It's a movie about birth of a well known supervillain. A movie.

I guess the fact that it made so much money and is now handpicking all of these awards is potent enough to create dozens of other counter-productive 'think' pieces. Who knew art can still shock people in 2020... And nobody's talking about Midsommar or Lighthouse or countless other truly provocative pieces from 2019. But that's understandable since not everything can hit that mainstream peak like this movie did.

It was great for marketing

Also, Midsommar wasn't provocative lol it was just intentionally being 'shocking' and it turned out to be the best comedy of the last year

Nomis wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 5:58 pm
It was great for marketing

Also, Midsommar wasn't provocative lol it was just intentionally being 'shocking' and it turned out to be the best comedy of the last year
I mean... Compared to Joker it was. :lol:

Parasite is provocative. Once Upon a Time... I'm using that word to explain movies that provoke the established way of thinking.

Joker to me was a vehicle for a powerhouse performance wrapped in beautiful cinematography and musical landscape. The rest is noise, as was - the way I see it, intended. I mean the title card is huge enough to indicate what you're about to see.
Last edited by m4st4 on February 3rd, 2020, 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think CNN ran a lot of "joker dangerous" articles and CNN is owned by the same company as Time Warner.

Native advertising at its finest.

Artemis wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 6:01 pm
I think CNN ran a lot of "joker dangerous" articles and CNN is owned by the same company as Time Warner.

Native advertising at its finest.
I'd like to think there are marketing experts that smart but wasn't one actual shooting enough for WB, TDKR era? Legit question.

My friend who is in economy, marketing, told me the other day this elaborate theory how Sonic redesign was a planned hoax. Generate bad marketing to blow up the positive one for couple of millions more. While I don't believe it, it makes for a nice chit chat about the inner workings of these things.

hey so i finally watched this.

a lot of the jokes fall flat for me, but it is pretty funny in other parts. charlie sheen is great as usual, but the real star here is the little kid. a little dark for a 'two and a half men' follow up, but i'm eager to see where they take this franchise.

3 laughing emojis outta 6!

Christopher Walken should play Joker in the sequel