Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Didn't you use to say you were against politicizing art any more than it's already innately political?

The word "politicized" indicates a work of art is hijacked in ways that run against what's supported by the text. That is what I take issue with. How is that what's happening here? This is a politically charged text, so how are we meant to engage with it except through a political lens?

PS, just to reiterate, you're wrong about the Venice reaction. Many critics took grave concern with Joker's potential negative impact on certain types of people, like this one by Robbie Collin (republished today but is identicical to his review in August):

To be clear, I don’t believe for a second that Phillips and his star, Joaquin Phoenix, actually think that their version of the classic Batman bad guy is in fact a hero to be glorified and emulated. But I worry that someone out there will.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/jok ... ight-club/

PS that review has some spoilers so don't read it until you've seen the movie.

-Vader

Despite all this, I'm guessing the film is going to end up rather high on the year end top ten lists. I bet top 25 at the least.

I’m not wrong about the % or avg. rating after Venice. Cherry picking a couple reviews doesn’t change that.

Allstar is right and the numbers prove this. You dont drop this much after the acclaim it received in Venice by mere coincidence.

Many critics have an agenda, it is just the way it is. And I dont remember who recently asked how one becomes a critic on RT these days because it appears that there are so many faux-critics on there now, but I agree. Film criticism has fallen a long way and it is only getting worse when every youtuber and blogger can be considered a "film critic."

When you combine the lowering standard of film criticism with the fact that most critics are progressive, you have a formula for blatantly subjective and politically fueled reviews.

Allstar wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm
I’m not wrong about the % or avg. rating after Venice. Cherry picking a couple reviews doesn’t change that.
Waves debuted at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is now at 85%.

Is this a politicized anti-Waves liberal bias?

-Vader

As somebody who was seriously excited for this movie, if you take Phoenix out of this movie, it's not really all that riveting. The message of the movie is exactly what you expect it to be, and refuses to go beyond it. Any potential to start a commentary on a certain theme or aspect is only hinted at but never explored, like sensationalising violence and/or mental illness (something in the vein or Network and Nightcrawler), etc. It wants to be about so much, yet ends up feeling it managed to tackle very little; just ends up being a very impressive acting showreel for Joaquin Phoenix. There is one thing I wish the movie would have done that would have changed my feelings on it completely...
... It does end up leaning into the Batman mythos a fair bit, even as far to show once again the "Bruce's parents killed in an alley" scene that has been recreated 30 million times. If they were going to do that scene again, they should have killed Bruce Wayne. By doing that, it would have scared me far more than anything else in the movie; the knowledge of knowing that there would be nobody out there who could stop The Joker running rampant.

Vader182 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:28 pm
Allstar wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 7:30 pm
Waves debuted at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is now at 85%.

Is this a politicized anti-Waves liberal bias?

-Vader
No.

I don’t think I’m seeing critics on twitter being whiny about that movie. Critics who did not see it were genuinely mad it won the Golden Lion. The receipts are there, not sure why you’re in such denial about something as clear as day.

but wait i thought massive decreases in RT scores only happened to Joker??????? due to politicized backlash?????? a movie that has some of its most positive reviews in the last few days???

seriously tho joker really works for some people and really doesn't work for other people, and wow the negative people are louder

news at 11

-Vader