Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm imagining a Travis Bickle-esque iteration of The Joker, and if it's going to be just a one-off story like Logan, I'm very excited about that prospect.

:think:

BlairCo wrote:I'm imagining a Travis Bickle-esque iteration of The Joker, and if it's going to be just a one-off story like Logan, I'm very excited about that prospect.
I'll get excited once we get some details. So far it's been a non stop title-announce game for WB/DC and that, to me, is like saying comic book inspired movies will get made in the future, please look forward. Uhm... sure. Let's see which one of these goes out first.

I'll need to know more (if it's coming out anytime soon/how involved Scorcese is) before getting interested.

I'm not a fan of a Joker origin... unless it's multiple choice ;) but It definitely can work as an Elseworld story where he's basically a guy and not the Joker until the end. I just hope it's more grounded as they're saying and less "Batman chasing him into chemicals cheesy".

But I don't get the excitement over Scorsese's name. He'll only be a producer on this, most likely for the name value alone, a'la Spielberg producing (and not in Poltergeist mode).

Todd Phillips is an interesting choice, though. He's very hit and miss but I really dug his last film. Ironically a decent Scorsese rip-off. Plus Old School is a classic ;)

Apparently Leto is still on board SS2 and GCS (also reported in that article) so WB might have some branding problems in the future.

I said it many times, superhero movies are only now reaching that point where it really does look like a comic book store and there's something for everybody, and that's great, but I'm not sure WB in particular can handle that many iterations in such short time.

In terms of casting who would you like to see? I have two very unrealistic but poetic choices I'd really like to see:

- Christian Bale - that'd be fucking crazy but also kind of brilliant.
- Leonardo DiCaprio - the Scorsese factor. Actually both of them work for a De Niro substitute in a Taxi Driver type of film.

Unfortunately, both of them are also a bit too old to play the part now. Maybe Jake Gyllenhaal?

Jake would be great. Anyone capable and proven honestly. At the end of the day - man, Leto is a capable actor, he's easily the best thing about Blade Runner trailers (sans Deakins of course) and if they're going to let him play Joker again (and again), at least give him a script. Like, actual script.

I just realized... specifically mentioned 80s setting means continuous support of Scarface Joker. Fuck this.