Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ruth wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 9:37 pm
so like i think it’s funny how the whole incels taking over the world because of jester never panned out but it’d also be dumb to ignore that lots of them claimed the movie as “theirs” anyway

i don’t understand why this discussion is happening AGAIN though

cats tell a lot more about the human condition anyway.
I just noticed Del Toro put in his top 10 of the year and remembered all these other directors praising it. I found it interesting, usually there’s not this kind of divide between filmmakers and critics.

Allstar wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 10:10 pm
Ruth wrote:
so like i think it’s funny how the whole incels taking over the world because of jester never panned out but it’d also be dumb to ignore that lots of them claimed the movie as “theirs” anyway

I just noticed Del Toro put in his top 10 of the year and remembered all these other directors praising it. I found it interesting, usually there’s not this kind of divide between filmmakers and critics.
is there really a divide though? or did it just so happen that a handful of creators liked this film, which is cool, but we don’t exactly have any kind of statistics to show us artists love this. usually famous people keep quiet about other films/art they didn’t like

people come up with their best of lists, rarely do i see a director tweet out their “films i hated this year” shitlists

Joker still has a fresh rating on RT and majority of critics liked it.

I don't think there's that much of a divide here.

I guess we will see how it does with the academy but normally a film with its reviews wouldn’t do that well...

Ruth wrote:

I mean Heath Legder's Joker was already claimed by those people because they enjoy the nihilism and passing it off as Truth and the apparent victory of that character by the end of The Dark Knight that forces the other characters to react is a sign of his power to them because that's all they care about.
It should come as no surprise that they would claim this character as their own because he's a vicious and violent maniac whose monstrous acts they can justify with him having a bad life so that they can feel better about themselves behaving badly towards others in their own lives. The overlap between incels and authoritarian, far-right movements' ideas about the powerless is not surprising.

Joker has done well with the different guilds like editing, cinematography, costumes, etc. Usually that means success in getting a best picture nomination.

radewart wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 11:18 pm
Joker has done well with the different guilds like editing, cinematography, costumes, etc. Usually that means success in getting a best picture nomination.
Honestly want this to get best picture just for the meltdowns. Don’t care about this movie either way.

Artemis wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 8:27 pm
Did you enjoy the movie?
omfg :lol:

Vader182 wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 9:46 pm
like I said about it earlier this year, the most dangerous (and bad) thing about the movie isn't that it promotes an incel message, it obviously doesn't, it's that it doesn't have a message period.

instead, it recklessly and incoherently juggles half a dozen "hot button" issues and manages to do absolutely nothing with any of them. it's also narrow and literal where it sees itself as complex, deep and "abstract." I felt third party embarrassed for all involved. They're swimming in insane cash and will likely earn solid nominations, so good on them.

It's the worst movie I've seen from 2019.

-Vader
Even if you believe the film doesn't have a coherent message--the production value alone, the cinematography and the acting, are far better than so many films from 2019, and yet, you still say it is the worst movie you saw all year? Bewildering.

Nomis wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 7:33 am
Artemis wrote:
December 31st, 2019, 8:27 pm
Did you enjoy the movie?
omfg :lol:
She asked if someone watched a movie. There is literally nothing funny about this.