Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm
I didn't say it was the worst movie of 2019, I said it was the worst I've seen.

It's really not worth diving into a deep conversation over an appallingly shallow movie.

-Vader
Where does Rise of Skywalker rank? You did call it a disaster so I’m genuinely curious.

I don't want to get into too much of another back and forth again over this movie, everyone's entitled to their opinions. But, I'm curious about what makes the difference for people who hated this movie and really like "Uncut Gems"? Both take place in a world of depravity with unlikable characters interested only in their own gratification.

I feel like UG was better written and more anxiety inducing and the themes of the film were not spelt out for you. The subtext was really well done.

radewart wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 6:32 pm
I don't want to get into too much of another back and forth again over this movie, everyone's entitled to their opinions. But, I'm curious about what makes the difference for people who hated this movie and really like "Uncut Gems"? Both take place in a world of depravity with unlikable characters interested only in their own gratification.
Related tangent:
Other filmmakers have built on Phillips’ template with their own ambiguous studies of appalling men. Joshua Safdie, who co-directed a combustible Adam Sandler in “Uncut Gems,” sang the praises of “GG Allin” and “Frat House” alike. “The latter is an incredible hybrid film masterwork of regional filmmaking,” Safdie told me. “I was ripe to love his ‘Hangover’ trilogy. Todd does things his own way and that’s inspiring.”
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/todd- ... 202198603/

Vader182 wrote:

It's really not worth diving into a deep conversation over an appallingly shallow movie.

-Vader
So let's deep dive into TROS endless convo instead, riiight.

^ That made me laugh out loud, thank you.

Skywalker with all its CGI and magical powers and weaponary is a much less cartoonish and unrelatable affair than this film tbh.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 1:06 pm
Skywalker with all its CGI and magical powers and weaponary is a much less cartoonish and unrelatable affair than this film tbh.
Joker is relatable?

m4st4 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 5:38 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
So let's deep dive into TROS endless convo instead, riiight.
lmao

It genuinely confuses me how some of the same people I've seen ripping on this film for being so shallow and faux-intelligent are the same that are scraping their nails against the bottom of the barrel to find redeemable themes/"artistic choices" in TROS.

You people are very welcome to come up with your own analysis or counter arguments to his. It's called having an opinion.