Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nistopher Colon wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm
Mister Freeze origin story when?
We've already had the definitive Mr Freeze on film, nobody is going to surpass Schwarzenegger's captivating and emotional turn as Freeze.

Michael Mann on the film:
I love this movie. I think it’s brilliant and not only Todd’s best film but it’s exciting because it’s on a frontier. And that’s usually where very good things happen. Todd and Scott’s screenplay has that relevance that occurs when work is authentic and not derivative. We find Arthur disturbing and poignant simultaneously. He’s both child victim and adult perpetrator. Both are true, as is the case with most schizophrenics. That both are true is uncomfortable. We find ourselves in a fugue state. It’s counterpoint. It’s why Arthur and the film’s impact sustains so strongly in memory. To build on all of this, and for Joaquin, Todd, and Scott, to impact upon on this powerfully is a difficult accomplishment. Congratulations, Todd!

Wow, I mean... I still struggle to see how this film isn't universally seen as very one-dimensional and obvious, but... I guess I should re-watch it, maybe? I don't know.

DHOPW42 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 8:15 am
Wow, I mean... I still struggle to see how this film isn't universally seen as very one-dimensional and obvious, but... I guess I should re-watch it, maybe? I don't know.
Same. and I don’t even flat out hate this movie!! It definitely has some positives going for it. I’m just bamboozled how so many people think it’s like, very intellectual and deep

When it came out, I saw hordes of people on facebook acting as if their lives were actually changed by this film, and I don’t want to seem like a prick by pointing anything opposite to that lol.

Ruth wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 8:57 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
Same. and I don’t even flat out hate this movie!! It definitely has some positives going for it. I’m just bamboozled how so many people think it’s like, very intellectual and deep

When it came out, I saw hordes of people on facebook acting as if their lives were actually changed by this film, and I don’t want to seem like a prick by pointing anything opposite to that lol.
It's hype and people want to be a part of it. It's like the whole Popeye's chicken sandwich thing. People have been singing its praises, so everyone climbs on board, even if it's just good, not great. This movie is not ground breaking. We already saw Robert DeNiro, Micheal Douglas' and Woody Harrelson's spiral into madness. It's just another story about an unstable white dude who gets wronged by his "bad mother" and the inconsiderate brown people who work for "the system". Of course he "justifiably" goes rogue and starts killing people. Of course!

The more I think about this movie, the more I dislike it. There are definitely some nice shots and good acting, but it's been done before and the way it props up the Arthur only reifies the shit I hate about how we treat the topic of crazy white boys who kill people.

Um... :wtf:

I see Mann's letter was already posted.

I also struggle how people who think anything is universal in this world exist.

Dunkirk2017! wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am
Ruth wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 8:57 am
DHOPW42 wrote:

It's hype and people want to be a part of it. It's like the whole Popeye's chicken sandwich thing. People have been singing its praises, so everyone climbs on board, even if it's just good, not great. This movie is not ground breaking. We already saw Robert DeNiro, Micheal Douglas' and Woody Harrelson's spiral into madness. It's just another story about an unstable white dude who gets wronged by his "bad mother" and the inconsiderate brown people who work for "the system". Of course he "justifiably" goes rogue and starts killing people. Of course!

The more I think about this movie, the more I dislike it. There are definitely some nice shots and good acting, but it's been done before and the way it props up the Arthur only reifies the shit I hate about how we treat the topic of crazy white boys who kill people.
Agreed with all of this.

At this point I just want an established and respected filmmaker to come out and be like "yeah Joker? hated it."

The more I've discussed this movie with my friends the more it starts to fall apart for me and the more useless this film really is.

So you want established filmmakers to support your dislike so that it feels better to dislike it? But why would you need such shallow validation? There's plenty of other stuff out there too, it's just one movie in a sea. Pick something else and enjoy it perhaps.

Here we go again.