Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Law wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 12:29 am
Numbers wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 8:01 pm
This backlash is fucking stupid. It's a goddamn movie.
Surely I understand it, kind of. Just, am I wrong in thinking if it wasn't for social media we wouldn't be blowing things out of proportion?
It's everything, man. Social media, click-driven media, the political landscape in 2019. Not just the "sensitive left" but sensitivity to the shootings and a persuasive feeling of fear. Hell, I'm nervous about seeing this in Dolby opening weekend to be honest. Since Aurora, if I see a "sketchy" guy enter or exit a movie part way through, my eyes scan the exits.

Is the burden of responsibility for all this fall on Joker? Not even a little. But it is a perfect storm for panic, even if it's exhausting. Especially for a movie most of us haven't seen.

-Vader

radewart wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 7:16 pm
I'm not even really blaming anyone in the media, but it has been shown that the constant coverage on the 24 hour news channels after a shooting have an effect on inspiring others prone to such actions. I hope I'm wrong.
It's definitely an issue but not the issue. I think this is what NDT was trying to say in his insensitive tweets, that the media are putting too much stock in still seemingly rare occurrences of death and they probably should stop making it the highlight of a 24 hour news cycle. However, media in Europe does the same thing, sensationalizing mass shootings in America (not that we care if it happens somewhere in Africa, Middle East or South Asia but that's a different issue). But clearly we don't have this issue here, or at least nowhere near on the same level and it's due to gun control. The rhetoric that someone would still be able to get a gun is true in Europe as well but it's definitely not as easy with gun control. You have to make an effort and I'm sorry to say but people are simply inherently lazy and afraid. They're afraid that they might get caught and this makes them think twice about it and makes the whole thing more of an effort.

Oh... it's a Joker thread? Hi hi, ha ha, Joker is so awesome, am I right or am I right?

It's been blown way out of proportion by people who haven't even seen the damn thing.

Eileen Jones with the last word:
Moral panics about provocative films like 'Joker' are as old as cinema itself. But more often than not, they're just proof of a film's merit — and of a deeply anxious middle class.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/09/joke ... ral-panics

Numbers wrote:
September 27th, 2019, 2:45 am
It's been blown way out of proportion by people who haven't even seen the damn thing.
Seems to be the case.

I hate to fucking say this but it’s almost as if some of these people want something bad to happen so they can be “right”. It’s all kind of gross.

Ironically, the fact that people are in such an outrage over this film is likely to get more people to see it.

Vader182 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Law wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:27 pm
Was all this chaos talked about when TDK was released? Help me to recollect
it's obviously different when it's a main character where you're supposed to empathize with to one extent or another.

It's closer to movies like godfather, goodfellas, taxi driver, wolf, thief, raging bull, nightcrawler, the player, fight club, american psycho, house that jack built and many others in the crime / noir genres.

-Vader
Lol you sneaked in The Player in that list.

Vader182 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 4:36 pm
WB PR is probably having a meltdown right now. Between that and the comments about how we don't mind John Wick violence vs violence about a serial killer murdering innocents, he's not doing Joker any favors.

What they should be saying is: "uh, yeah that's a big issue why do you think we made the movie?

-Vader
So much of a meltdown that they 'disinvited' reporters from the LA premiere https://variety.com/2019/film/news/joke ... 203352046/

And yup. Philips' execution of all this in the film aside, the way he's been addressing these are ooooof

I'd argue that it goes back to the old adage that "there is no such thing as bad publicity", and that this whole fiasco is generating more interest in people wanting to check out exactly how dark and violent this Joker movie really is. But you can tell that WB and Phillips tried to calm the flame but accidentally used fuel instead of water.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 4:32 pm
‘Joker’ Director Todd Phillips Rebuffs Criticism of Dark Tone

“I literally described to Joaquin at one point in those three months as like, ‘Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film’. It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it f–ing Joker’. That’s what it was. “
What a fucking snob! "Real movies"? Like the kind of trash you were making all your career? Like fucking Due Date?
Due Date was the last non-MCU Downey movie I genuinely liked. Show some respekt, will ya'.