Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Law wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:27 pm
Was all this chaos talked about when TDK was released? Help me to recollect
it's obviously different when it's a main character where you're supposed to empathize with to one extent or another.

It's closer to movies like godfather, goodfellas, taxi driver, wolf, thief, raging bull, nightcrawler, the player, fight club, american psycho, house that jack built and many others in the crime / noir genres.

-Vader

Master Virgo wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 4:32 pm
‘Joker’ Director Todd Phillips Rebuffs Criticism of Dark Tone

“I literally described to Joaquin at one point in those three months as like, ‘Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film’. It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it f–ing Joker’. That’s what it was. “
lmao todd a real one

Vader182 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Law wrote:
it's obviously different when it's a main character where you're supposed to empathize with to one extent or another.

It's closer to movies like godfather, goodfellas, taxi driver, wolf, thief, raging bull, nightcrawler, the player, fight club, american psycho, house that jack built and many others in the crime / noir genres.

-Vader
Did you already see Joker? All I mean is, is that the impression you got if you saw it?

I haven't. But it's clearly a card carrying member of the Bad Men subgenre.

-Vader

@Vader: Did those movies have this kind of reaction?

Also, have any of the people who are in a panic about this movie even seen it?

BrandX wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 6:52 pm
@Vader: Did those movies have this kind of reaction?

Also, have any of the people who are in a panic about this movie even seen it?
There's always been a dialogue questioning the relationship between movies and real life, and in some cases that has been real concern. You have to realize the "panic" around Joker isn't in a vacuum. It's because the U.S. is in a state of despair over the frequency of mass shootings, and in a political situation where so little is done to combat it on a legislative level, anything that seems to have a negative impact will inevitably cause a crisis.

Someone tried to kill Ronald Reagan after watching Taxi Driver 15 times. In this powder keg society we're living in where mass shooters are on the rise, people are worried Joker could have the same impact. I haven't seen the movie, but I don't think it's misplaced concern.

And many of the people who have seen it expressed a lot of concern, even people who gave it very positive notices.

-Vader

Unfortunately, at this point, I'm afraid a mass shooting is likely going to happen due to all the negative aspects connected to this film. The social media and now mainstream media has been so loud and constant in their coverage about the "fears" of this movie that some deranged person is watching and consuming it all, and they will go through with it just to meet some ill-conceived "wish-fulfillment" that they view others have for this flick. It's not to excuse any person who does such a horrible act, but we create our own monsters sometimes.

I'm not even really blaming anyone in the media, but it has been shown that the constant coverage on the 24 hour news channels after a shooting have an effect on inspiring others prone to such actions. I hope I'm wrong.

Law wrote:
wot

This backlash is fucking stupid. It's a goddamn movie.

Forum Pro
Law
Numbers wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 8:01 pm
This backlash is fucking stupid. It's a goddamn movie.
Surely I understand it, kind of. Just, am I wrong in thinking if it wasn't for social media we wouldn't be blowing things out of proportion?