Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Allstar, it's beautiful. I'm fucking crying omg

Don't ask what society did to you. Ask yourself what you did to society.

Going to see this on Thursday, will post thoughts after :thumbup:

warhero wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:32 pm
Going to see this on Thursday, will post thoughts after :thumbup:
living in a society yet?

I’m so sorry!
I’ve had a few days to digest. Still reeling.

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t generally like comic book movies. I don’t particularly like Marvel. And the DC movies have all been quite poorly made.

JOKER is the first movie since Nolan’s batman franchise that has really set the standard for what films should be, comic book ones no less.

Joker is operating on an entirely different level and blows everything else out of the water. I had low expectations going in too. This is just astonishing all levels of creation. The music by Hildur is great, with the use of a lot of strings. Johan Johannson’s protege. The cinematography is excellent. The movie is set in 1981. It feels very much like a period piece and does well with it’s colors and overall design.
The direction is assured and the writing is very very good.

As for Joaquin, I shouldn’t really have to say much. He’s portrays the Joker with such perfection. It is a different approach and character to Heath so you really can’t compare the two, though this performance does feel oscar worthy. I won’t go much beyond that.

Overall, this is essentially an independent film that was made about a mentally ill man. They just happen to slap on the DC and Warner Bros logos and call this movie the Joker. I really feel they captured lightning in a bottle with this one.

A couple of tidbits:

They are talks about heading in this direction. To create gritty realistic high caliber standalone films in the vein of Joker. I really hope they do, becauss this is right up my alley.

Second, this was obviously a big production. The director, Todd Phillips, mentioned that they protected Joaquin from all the noise and people as much as they could. In fact, often times it was just Joaquin and Phillips off in the corner when filming. At one point Joaquin remarked that it felt like they were making a student film. A great thing, because it translated into one of the performances of a lifetime.

Definitely watch it. It’s one of the best of the year.

This movie definitely is its own society.

Still waiting for the Bane origin movie inspired by Raging Bull and Cape Fear.