Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
man this movie is really bringing out the best of us

TIL bigotry and incels don’t exist in Europe

I think you're exaggerating his point a lil bit tho

Nomis wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 2:01 pm
I think you're exaggerating his point a lil bit tho
i’m oversimplifying a point that was already very oversimplified...? like sure, of course, a lot of things are different in america, besides we view america through a magnifying glass since it’s such a focal point in entertainment and media, and is always the center of attention. The cultural and political climate is different, history is different, etc., that much is already known. but it’s also not like the us is this isolated faraway place where shit happens there and nothing alike ever echoes or mirrors the crap that’s happening elsewhere.

but saying “i don’t live in a country that has x” with “x” being a thing that is very much prevalent worldwide (albeit manifesting in different fashion, i guess), is like being european and saying we don’t have racism in europe when we’re like the og racists

what this thread shows us is that we’re sadly not very capable of discussing sensitive stuff with nuance. if i point out something i don’t agree with, it doesn’t mean i’m taking a personal dig at that person. i’m not even very strongly involved in these discussions here, but i’m kind of done with this thread

and yes, if anyone cares, i too do not believe “objectivity” is possible with kinos or any other form of art lol.

Yeah like it's really nice you guys don't have mass shootings because the access to guns isn't there, but no doubt that anger will come out in a different sort of way.

I guess I should have added 'to the same extent'. This stuff does manifest itself in different forms elsewhere, you're right, but what Joker tackles is something that appears more specific to North America, hence the nerve that it's striking with critics there (and, ultimately, far more mixed or downright negative reactions, and the concerns about the film being 'dangerous')

antovolk wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 2:55 pm
I guess I should have added 'to the same extent'. This stuff does manifest itself in different forms elsewhere, you're right, but what Joker tackles is something that appears more specific to North America, hence the nerve that it's striking with critics there (and, ultimately, far more mixed or downright negative reactions, and the concerns about the film being 'dangerous')
Speaking of striking a nerve, here is a review excerpt from New York Magazine:

"As Hannah Arendt saw banality in the supposed evil of the Nazi Adolf Eichmann, I see in Joker an attempt to elevate nerdy revenge to the plane of myth. That's scary on a lot of different levels."

A lot of these reviews are raising the interest/buzz in the film. You already see tweets from conservative sites saying crap like "liberal snowflakes" don't want you to see the new Joker movie because it will cause you to commit violence.

What is this thread?

@Nauta: It's outrage society :D

At this point, do the other reviews coming out even matter? The Golden Lion is as good of an endorsement as it gets. The rest is noise. I do love how selective many Joker critics are, there are plenty more films dealing with similar aspects or I guess portray things that could be considered immoral and yet, you don't hear a peep about those.

The hypocrisy is hysterical. (I wonder if this being a DC film also accentuates things)