Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related entertainment discussion. Join the fun!
I'm really digging the look. A lot more than I anticipated to.

I like how they keep the violent Joker hidden, I'm sure he's going to do all sorts of crazy things lol

What bums me out about this is how predictable it looks. Joaquin Phoenix's Joker looks and acts exactly how you'd expect Joaquin Phoenix's Joker to look and act. I respect his commitment as an actor, but there's nothing unique about what he's doing here.

The film itself also has this predictable "we live in a society" thing going on, which has been done a thousand times over and by far superior directors not named Todd Phillips.

I guess that’s what I’m saying. Once you lost your virginity to this fucking character and then you come and say to me something about like ‘Joker would definitely have an origin story’ I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the fucking road on that. It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘Joker has an origin’…That’s cool. But you’re living in a fucking dream world.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 11:36 am
Allstar wrote:
April 3rd, 2019, 11:32 am
Not convinced/falling for it. Sorry.
Seriously,

It's Todd Philipps guys...
Even a blind chicken..., you know how it goes.

Footage looks great.

Still not convinced either.

Todd Phillips is good. Joaquin Phoenix is dope. Trailer was great. Can’t complain about anything.

“It’s exactly what I’d expect a Joaquin Phoenix Joker..” umm and it’s still more unique than anything out there in the genre.

My very own nitpicky opinion is that the only reason I have doubts is that I find this "abused, bullied weird guy turning into a hero/villain" thing quite tiring at this point. I'm probably not alone with this but also it seems like most people don't have a problem with that, which is also fine. It is a promising project with amazing actors in it, visuals are quite nice, but the whole basis on what this is built feels old to me. I know TDK was 11 years ago, and at that time it was obvious that they couldn't do this route again. That's why they didn't build Ledger's Joker on psychological and mental health issues. And you could say that after 11 years they can, once again, deal with the mental side of this character, but I, personally, don't care for that at this point. I'm still curious about future trailers and the film itself, but this is my prejudice towards the whole project.

Focusing on his mental illness is what makes this project interesting and exciting. It looks like the polar opposite of the dumb villainous origins we’re now getting with Venom and probably Morbius.

Sure this would work if it doesn't belong in the DC Universe with super heroes.