BBC's Sherlock

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:saw it again and it really is a dumber the second time

this has genuinely become a parody of itself

wtf man this was like one of the best shows on TV at one point

Moffat and Gatiss have lost their minds
Brooke was pretty magnificent, but the show jumps through some ridiculously high hoops to manufacture its drama

I mean the result can be truly engaging, like Sherlock being forced to tell Molly "I love you" (Brealey has always been great in this show by the way and shines even with her handful of screentime minutes here

I get that Moriarty staying "alive" was because Sherlock was still haunted by him, but holy fuck he got annoying, and I don't think it added much to the episode

not even the Freebatch/Cumberman banter and chemistry saved this, probably because there was barely any of it here
Agree with every word. I'll always LOVE to revisit seasons 1-3 because as you said, when this show was on, it was arguably the best thing on TV and was thoroughly engaging. But Season 4 (with the exception of The Lying Detective) wasn't good and it boggles the mind that the same writers who wrote these amazing episodes also fumbled season 4 so badly.

I can really appreciate how much of a character study this whole season was. I always thought Irene Adler was going to be the one who would get through Sherlock emotionally but Eurus? Never saw that coming. TFP was, in my opinion, amazing up until the last 10ish minutes. It's like they planned everything so well up until that ending and realized they didn't know what they were doing and just winged a climax. But seeing Sherlock suffer mentally like that was just something else, regardless of the show stumbling at the end.
The episode had no cliffhanger of like any kind. So I kinda assume that was it? I don't know where they can really go from here.

4N Legend wrote:I can really appreciate how much of a character study this whole season was. I always thought Irene Adler was going to be the one who would get through Sherlock emotionally but Eurus? Never saw that coming. TFP was, in my opinion, amazing up until the last 10ish minutes. It's like they planned everything so well up until that ending and realized they didn't know what they were doing and just winged a climax. But seeing Sherlock suffer mentally like that was just something else, regardless of the show stumbling at the end.
The episode had no cliffhanger of like any kind. So I kinda assume that was it? I don't know where they can really go from here.
the writers said if they were to return, Sherlock would be more in line with the Sherlock iterations of the character we are accustomed to. So he would be a bit less of an ass and just very cerebral. I'm all for going back to the typical cases, like A Study in Pink or a Scandal in Belgravia. If they would just leave the secret sisters and unnecessary secondary character subplots alone, we could get a return to form for this once amazing series.

Only thing missing in that last episode was Ewoks.

The Lying Detective was one of the best episodes of television I remember seeing in years.

Bacon wrote:The Lying Detective was one of the best episodes of television I remember seeing in years.
Watch more TV.

Bacon wrote:The Lying Detective was one of the best episodes of television I remember seeing in years.
It was great, I agree...which is what makes it even more upsetting when you consider the episode before and after were average to mediocre.

Just finished with the season. The Six Thatchers was engaging at parts but much weaker compared to the rest of the episodes. The Lying Detective was a big improvement, particularly because of Toby Jones' fantastic performance. The cliffhanger, though, was quite jarring and it lead to a clusterfuck of a finale. Holy shit, it truly became a parody of itself. By far the worst episode of the series. All in all, a big disappointment. If they continue in that direction, they'll ruin one of the greatest shows of our time.

Series 2 is still, in my mind, one of the greatest seasons in Television history. I just finished Series 4, and while I can't say that this season was a disappointment because there were some really enjoyable moments, starting from The Abominable Bride which in my opinion was the moment the series jumped the shark, this show is on it's decline in quality.

The Six Thatchers was an absolute bore with very little sense in story. The Lying Detective was an improvement, and I enjoyed the plot-point of Sherlock having to doubt his memory which eventually plays a big part in The Final Problem, but I thought it was a bit too obvious from a narrative standpoint, and Toby Jones kind of reminded me of the villain in the very first episode with the cab driver for some reason. The Final Problem fascinates me incredibly, though mainly with the introduction of Sian Brooke's character. It flirts with elements I never wanted to see in Sherlock ever, but it took me by surprise how much I was engaged with the conflict at hand. The Final Problem was everything that is great and terrible about the writing in Sherlock.

Do I want to see another Series? If they get rid of Moriarty once and for all, focus on singular cases instead of trying to tie them all together, and get Sherlock back to doing actual deductions, then I'll be happy. But if this is how they want to continue this show, count me out.