BBC's Sherlock

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
1. Theres a completely unexpected moment with Sherlock that is destined to launch a million gifs
2. Fans get something they’ve been waiting years for
3. The entire episode is a bright, light, candy floss concotion with a bittersweet ending that ends on just the teeniest foreboding note as we find out what Sherlock’s vow is.
:? Oh, please no.

I highly doubt that that's the case, even if I haven't seen it yet.

A (sort of) change in tone doesn't really mean the show has jumped the shark. Levity is good.

I actually loved this episode. The tone was different and more varied than other episodes, but I quite like it when a show can flick from comedy to suspense in a flawless move, which this episode did in my opinion. In fact, it sort of had the brilliance of a good mystery that the previous episode was missing. It felt like a much better balance between character and plot, but it still leans heavily on the character arcs. Couple problems, the episode opens with the promise of an interesting case that gets dropped without full resolution before the opening titles kick in. Also, Lestrade doesn't investigate robberies, yet he's shown investigating one. While the mystery is largely well done, a couple of points could be figured out before the great detective even twigs onto them. The second act dragged too long while the third rushed by, and
the Irene Adler cameo felt pointless.
All in all, not the best episode, but far from the worst.

I just realized something:
The people who kidnapped Watson sent a message to Mary that he was captured, not Sherlock. Whoever kidnapped Watson was going after Mary.

darthnazgul wrote:I actually loved this episode. The tone was different and more varied than other episodes, but I quite like it when a show can flick from comedy to suspense in a flawless move, which this episode did in my opinion. In fact, it sort of had the brilliance of a good mystery that the previous episode was missing. It felt like a much better balance between character and plot, but it still leans heavily on the character arcs. Couple problems, the episode opens with the promise of an interesting case that gets dropped without full resolution before the opening titles kick in. Also, Lestrade doesn't investigate robberies, yet he's shown investigating one. While the mystery is largely well done, a couple of points could be figured out before the great detective even twigs onto them. The second act dragged too long while the third rushed by, and
the Irene Adler cameo felt pointless.
All in all, not the best episode, but far from the worst.
I agree, but the intro robberies with the Watters family and Lestrade didn't seem useless to me personally. The second and third act's timing is correct, they paced out differently but it was enjoyable. It reminded me of A Scandal in Belgravia in the way the story was told. Loved the episode and the focus on the characters. Definitely better than the Empty Hearse episode but I wish they would've incorporated Magnussen in the episode somehow

Actually, what a big surprise... one of my favorite episodes. :shock:

It's probably my 4th favorite episode. Loved every second and it was exactly what it needed to be.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:It's probably my 4th favorite episode. Loved every second and it was exactly what it needed to be.

-Vader
And it turned out to be...
...one big case of the week episode, after all. ;)

Agree with some others about not liking the cinematography as much as the other seasons. Episode 2 was better. Its a different cinematographer on the next episode.

Shame they couldn't get Fabian Wagner who shot all of season 2.
Last edited by James on January 6th, 2014, 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

James wrote:Cinematography sucks so far this season. Episode 2 was slightly better. Its a different cinematographer on the next episode.

Shame they couldn't get Fabian Wagner who shot all of season 2.
Sucks is mighty excessive.

-Vader