Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
this is making great money all things considered, likely already has turned a significant profit

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 2:30 pm
this is making great money all things considered, likely already has turned a significant profit

-Vader
Rothman cut such a deal that it has to make an insane amount for Sony to see profit (400 mill) according to deadline. Regardless if it gets that or not this is a financial W for QT, Leo and Pitt.

how does that math work out? QT/Pitt/DiCaprio/Robbie getting major points on the backend?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm
how does that math work out? QT/Pitt/DiCaprio/Robbie getting major points on the backend?

-Vader
Yep, I think QT, Leo and Pitt get certain percent of the gross before Sony sees profit. Hey more power to them lol. Plus QT, not Sony owns the film in like 10 years. At the end of the day Sony will still make money from this movie but Rothman was pretty desperate to land this and gave QT absolutely everything he wanted. Apparently WB’s was the other finalist they offered the same, except giving QT ownership of the film down the road so he chose Sony. This was all in a Deadline article when the film came out. Sony also did this film for the prestige which they are/will be getting. Also, I’m sure they’re expecting to land QT’s final film now.

The movie cost $90 million to produce after tax incentives and rebates, making it the maverick filmmaker's most expensive film to date (that doesn't include marketing). By some estimates, it will have to gross $400 million worldwide to turn a profit after production, marketing and talent deals.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ng-1227512

Yeah so it's mainly the talent deals why it has to make an insane amount to break even for Sony because without that it should already be profitable. Bottom line, this is already perceived as a big financial success by the public and in the industry.

Allstar wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 3:57 pm
Vader182 wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 3:03 pm

-Vader
Yep, I think QT, Leo and Pitt get certain percent of the gross before Sony sees profit. Hey more power to them lol. Plus QT, not Sony owns the film in like 10 years. At the end of the day Sony will still make money from this movie but Rothman was pretty desperate to land this and gave QT absolutely everything he wanted. Apparently WB’s was the other finalist they offered the same, except giving QT ownership of the film down the road so he chose Sony. This was all in a Deadline article when the film came out. Sony also did this film for the prestige which they are/will be getting. Also, I’m sure they’re expecting to land QT’s final film now.

The movie cost $90 million to produce after tax incentives and rebates, making it the maverick filmmaker's most expensive film to date (that doesn't include marketing). By some estimates, it will have to gross $400 million worldwide to turn a profit after production, marketing and talent deals.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ng-1227512

Yeah so it's mainly the talent deals why it has to make an insane amount to break even for Sony because without that it should already be profitable. Bottom line, this is already perceived as a big financial success by the public and in the industry.
Talent deals aren't that high. It's most likely because of marketing, which could have cost about 50-100 million. so adding 90 and say 75 million for marketing that gives you 165 million. I'm sure the theatres didn't give producers a major cut for this movie so they'll be taking roughly half of the box office. That leaves only 200 million for the producers on a 400 million box office gross. Sounds about right. With 400 million total they'll barely make a profit.

Vader182 wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 2:30 pm

-Vader
gooood

I don't think this has made a profit yet. But it very well might. It hasn't been released in a bunch of important markets and only very recently has been released in a couple of other ones.

$239.8 million worldwide on a budget of $90-96 million according to Google.

This is really good given the budget and the fact it's not a blockbuster, reboot, comic book movie, or part of a franchise.

I'm glad this film is making money and I hope it makes more before it bows out.

Shazam made 350M with the same budget and did just OK according to box office experts.

90M is only the production budget. Theaters get more than half of the gross. And when you have big name actors or directors they all want their percentages plus what they already got as salary. So all of that has to be taken into account.

Norm is usually 3.5 times the production budget. That's considered a solid place to be.

2.5 is usually the going multiplier around box office forums. Is 3.5 a recent change?

Shazam was considered a disappointment or just ok is because of its genre. Comic book movies are usually expected to do insane numbers so Shazam only getting 350M compared to the 500M-1B other comic book movies get is just okay.

For a wholly original movie not based on previous material or part of a franchise, the box office for this is amazing.