Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

That was a really good read. Robbie's story is amazing and it really shows just how unpredictable the business and this career can really be.

I've been following her career since Wolf of Wall Street and she deserves everything honestly.

I can’t stop thinking about this movie and need a second watch asap.

I still think about the ending and the driving scenes all the time.

I just love Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth, I think about his scenes alot, especially the ones at the Spahn Ranch. He is one of the coolest characters I've scene on film.

radewart wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 1:16 am
I just love Brad Pitt's Cliff Booth, I think about his scenes alot, especially the ones at the Spahn Ranch. He is one of the coolest characters I've scene on film.
Oh god I fear this is exactly what Tarantino feared... (or wanted?)
I don’t think Cliff Booth is supposed to be a “cool” character.

Yeah he's probably not supposed to be seen as cool
he killed his wife? or didn't kill his wife? being accused of killing your wife is pretty bad news. And he lives in a mobile home behind a drive in theater eating boxed mac n cheese for dinner. Is that really an aspirational lifestyle? :lol:
but there is something infectious about the laid back don't care attitude.

Cliff Booth is a character who defies authority, and it's beautifully portrayed in the film. That's why some people would describe him as "cool", as in not caring for authority figures and not giving a fuck about "rules", etc. He knows his place, but he's not going to do what you ask from him "just because", and he's not going to believe what you say "just because" you are supposed to be believed. For example, the whole Bruce Lee scene is a perfect representation of this, and this is why it's weird that people focus on Bruce Lee's character and how he is portrayed there. In that scene it's Cliff Booth's reaction to Bruce Lee that counts - that's the whole purpose of the scene, to show that Cliff doesn't give a fuck about authority figures or "icons" or "respected persons", etc.

Artemis wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:50 am
he killed his wife? or didn't kill his wife? being accused of killing your wife is pretty bad news. And he lives in a mobile home behind a drive in theater eating boxed mac n cheese for dinner. Is that really an aspirational lifestyle? :lol:
Cliff is very much a fantasy character for a typical man to live vicariously through. He's cool because he can act like myself and others never would be able to or really want to given the chance. But is fun to enjoy in the make believe of a movie.

Did he or didn't he kill his wife? The way Tarantino in the quick scene portrays her as an annoying shrill woman, though, you kinda route for Cliff to do it, in a tongue in cheek way. I'm surprised there hasn't been more articles attacking that aspect of the movie. His living situation in way is kinda freeing. Not worried about getting the big house filled with fancy things.

The ease with which he develops a repore with the hitchhiking hippy girl, who is quickly willing to "take care of him" and then he is smart, suave enough to turn her down. Then there's of course, the Lee stuff and the ending which has been mentioned alot already.

Artemis wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:50 am
Agreed,
killing your wife is not cool, and Tarantino “punishes” the character by putting him in that trailer home. I also think the ending paints him as obsolete but not really in an elegiac way. It makes a point to preserve Rick while abandoning Cliff.