Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well, George Spahn was a real guy that owned the ranch and that the manson clan and girls were absolutely taking advantage of, and Manson had them fuck him (some underage) to keep him docile. The creepiness factor is high, it's the first scene QT's done that's nearly horror, but while it is a "fake out" that he was still alive, it also indicates how fucked up and creepy it is.

As for why the cult care so much about it, obviously it's a fucked up situation in general and they don't want to attract attention to their creepy ass activities unless they're willing to join the cult too.

-Vader

The Spahn ranch scene is the only time I felt the pace drag if im being honest. I understand the approach it just feels a little off to me at times.

Durden wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 5:37 pm
The Spahn ranch scene is the only time I felt the pace drag if im being honest. I understand the approach it just feels a little off to me at times.
It's one of my favorite scenes in the movie tbh. If Tarantino had more than one movie to do, I'd love for him to do a grind house style straight horror movie.

-Vader

The ranch scene didn't feel like it dragged. Honestly, I felt like its occasional cross-cutting to Rick's story made Rick's story drag.

Vader182 wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Durden wrote:
It's one of my favorite scenes in the movie tbh. If Tarantino had more than one movie to do, I'd love for him to do a grind house style straight horror movie.

-Vader
I thought the same exact thing.
whats everyone’s take on Cliff and his wife? QT purposely cuts it short, he def killed her but was it possibly an accident?

Vader182 wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Durden wrote:

-Vader
I don't think it's one scene that dragged, I think it's multiple in the second act that could have all benefitted from a little editing.

Didn’t read accidental to me. Loved that he cut it short though. That whole flashback was great.

Did any of you wish that they showed Rick and Cliff in Italy? Even if it was just an expanded version of the narrated montage but with actual footage. It makes sense to not show too much considering the movie is meant to be about Hollywood, but that is where the story naturally went. It felt jarring to not show his newfound success. I liked the flow of the movie and wouldn't have minded another fifteen or thirty minutes.

It's probably a reference to
the suspicions that Robert Wagner killed his wife Natalie Wood on a boat.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 7:22 pm
It's probably a reference to
the suspicions that Robert Wagner killed his wife Natalie Wood on a boat.

-Vader
Yeah I would be surprised if that hadnt played into the idea.