Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Cilogy wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 12:38 am
Can I just say every time I've seen a QT film in theaters most of the audience has been like people 50 and over.

Weird.
Opening night was like 70% people our age. So much so, I ran into half my film buddies in Chicago at the 7:00 p.m. screening at the AMC flagship downtown without planning it. We all flocked.

Tonight? lulz, the guy next to me was older than my dad. My dad is 68.

-Vader

Every person in my (relatively small) audience looked to be under the age of 30. Not sure what they thought.

I live in a college town and it was fucking packed with peeps, both old and young.

I have to wait 2 weeks to see this. QT films always make for good date nights yo.

the_red_ninja wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 3:03 am
I have to wait 2 weeks to see this. QT films always make for good date nights yo.
I've met my darling because of Pulp Fiction, so imagine our excitement for this.

seeing this on August 14th on 35mm

philly indie theaters are usually a good mix.

saw this for a second time at 3:45 yesterday and the theater was sold out. 35mm.

this movie is a masterpiece

It was OK. There were some truly funny and brilliant moments, but as usual with QT, I had trouble sinking into the story because QT always makes you painfully aware that you are watching a movie. He never allows the viewer to just lose themselves in the story because he wants you to remember he's making conscious choices that are oh so artsy and symbolic. His clever nods to other movies and pop culture are never subtle or smooth. I just wish he would allow the story to unfold once without waving to us and pointing "you see what I did there?" It's so fucking annoying. But he is more restrained here than he usually is.
Anyway, Leo and Brad really acted their asses off, and I enjoyed the humor for the most part. I really hated though what QT did to Bruce Lee. It's even more suspicious that he's the only person of color in the movie and the only real undisputed badass referenced in Hollywood, and he gets portrayed as a clown who really can't fight. Like why?

I also understand what people are saying about the pacing, but that actually wasn't a problem for me. It did feel like Hollywood itself, the personalities, the era was a character in itself, and I think that's what the first hour was about. I did hate the random narrator that pops in a few times in the beginning and then suddenly takes over the last half hour. That was just weird and took me right out of the movie. The ending actually surprised me. I don't know why I thought QT would stick to history, I should have known better. I have mixed feelings about what he did there, but I have to give to him that at least he kept it interesting.
7 out of 10 because QT was still showing his ass, but I enjoyed Leo and Brad.
Last edited by Ruth on July 28th, 2019, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not blatant spoilers, but several lines/words are enough to confirm/deny theories regarding a key event of the film

Cilogy wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 12:38 am
Can I just say every time I've seen a QT film in theaters most of the audience has been like people 50 and over.

Weird.
I was definitely the youngest person there by 15 years, aside from the college aged kid there with his parents.

Why were all the
Manson cult scared of Cliff seeing George? QT builds up crazy tension only to fake us out, which I get, but I don't understand why the reaction from the cult is that strong (same for Fromme's reaction to him coming up to the ranch). Is it just to show that they have enough off-kilter to be worried but not enough to actively prosecute?