Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Isn't that sort of the point? Especially when you take Tarantino's direction into consideration. I mean, there are plenty of shots where the characters are constantly watching each other, where two characters are having a conversation and you can see the others in the back. Thus so alluding to the fact that they really are in a compact space together.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Allstar wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm
His dumb voice over and Tatum are glaring flaws.

i love the former and don't mind the latter. the most glaring flaw is that the film has no main character, so the whole thing feels detached & observational

Tatum's weird casting and performance felt like half the point, it's an affectation.

i actually think one of the best aspects is the ever-shifting "main character" device since who we side with evolves as the film goes on. it's a courtroom drama where all their past misdeeds get laid bare. Warren comes closest, though.

-Vader

Wait I actually liked both the voice over and Tatum

in and of itself i think tarantino succeded in crafting a great lil whodunnit, but then you leave the theater with a kind of empty feeling and you're not sure why, so you think it must have just been too long or something

i feel it's a flawed premise executed amazingly

the empty feeling is probably more the fatalism of the ending, no?

tarantino implicates basically all tribes in the fucked up-ness of our current society and the roles we play, whether we're active agents or ignorant assholes

-Vader

Inglorious > Pulp

And Hateful Eight rules on just about every front.

again i'm not dissing it, but there's something missing that's keeping it from being anyone's top tarantino film despite the craft being so good, which i theorize is a lack of emotional through line

Also dat Morricone score

I'm so glad I got to see an impeccable 70mm print back then

If they're going to screen it again I'm definitely going

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
July 20th, 2019, 3:33 pm
again i'm not dissing it, but there's something missing that's keeping it from being anyone's top tarantino film despite the craft being so good, which i theorize is a lack of emotional through line
probably correct about that

i also don't think all sections are as tight or as well written as they should be, but it definitely QT at his most confrontational and extreme so I'm not surprised that turns some off.

-Vader

The Hateful Eight is amazing. I just watched it again a couple of months ago. My absolute favorite quote from SLJ (and you gotta hear it in your head like he is saying it):

You wanna know what that sign said, Senior Bob? "No Dogs or Mexicans Allowed." Minnie hung that sign up the day she opened this haberdashery, and it hung over that bar every day until she took it down a little over two years ago.

Know why she took it down?

She started letting in dogs.

Regarding his narration, it was fine. I didn't like his cameo in Django though, because it happened at such a low point in the film for the protagonist that I felt like Quentin appearing in the picture kind of calmed the waters for that moment instead of ramping the intensity.

I've enjoyed his more recent films more than his early-on ones. His appreciation for film (much like Nolan) really makes today's stand out in modern cinema, and the cinematography is always simply top-notch.