Rank 2017's Superhero Movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I will say though that Thor: Ragnarok is the worst superhero film I've seen this year (haven't seen Justice League). I know that's a hot take around here, but I have no vendetta against Marvel (2 of their films are currently in my top 10 of the year).

m4st4 wrote:Spoilers for GotG: Vol.2 which is almost a year old movie by now:
Starlord finds out that his role model, his father (played by standard par excellence Kurt Russell), is not only an intergalactic swine of a man, a womanizer who impregnates women to spread his ‘ego’ across the galaxy, but also that bastard who killed his own mother by putting cancer in her brain.
I challenge anyone here to find me something even remotely as brave in Wonder Woman.
didn't you know good movies are judged by how many jokes they have though. Which is why Marvel sucks.

Still you gotta hand it to Nomis for his unwavering determination to watch all of these films nonetheless. Like if I had seen 17 films (Freaking 17, man) in a series and I disliked every single one of them, whether loved by critics and audience or not, if I was really convinced that they all are the same shit, but with different colours, I would have seriously started considering to stop watching the future installments. Like maybe this is really not for me.£

Master Virgo wrote:Still you gotta hand it to Nomis for his unwavering determination to watch all of these films nonetheless. Like if I had seen 17 films (Freaking 17, man) in a series and I disliked every single one of them, whether loved by critics and audience or not, if I was really convinced that they all are the same shit, but with different colours, I would have seriously started considering to stop watching the future installments. Like maybe this is really not for me.£
He either doesn't watch them all and just says he does to seem like he has reasons to back up his views or he just goes into every one of them to try and nitpick. (In before he says something like "you guys don't understand, I've been trying to find a Marvel film that isn't a comedy but they're all just jokes and nothing else")

I’m sure he secretly enjoys some of them. You’d have to be dead inside to watch all of them and not enjoy any single one.

I have watched every single one of these MCU films too (I even own some of them on DVD). I always go in with an open mind but they mostly don't do much for me, mainly because of the overbearing humour that deflates the tension, the uninspiring visual aesthetic, the bland soundtrack, the generic dialogue and the at best average acting. Thats why they often do not warrant a rewatch and rarely have a moment of true emotional impact. You go back to them every time hoping that things improve but they mostly just stay the same and you end up disappointed because you realize the squandered potential.

I dunno guys, I mean The Dark Knight still holds up really well, so that's my favorite of 2017.

Batfan175 wrote:I have watched every single one of these MCU films too (I even own some of them on DVD). I always go in with an open mind but they mostly don't do much for me, mainly because of the overbearing humour that deflates the tension, the uninspiring visual aesthetic, the bland soundtrack, the generic dialogue and the at best average acting. Thats why they often do not warrant a rewatch and rarely have a moment of true emotional impact. You go back to them every time hoping that things improve but they mostly just stay the same and you end up disappointed because you realize the squandered potential.
Sorry for sounding harsh, but what was even the point of this post? I've read versions of this no less than like 50 times already. You just gave people like Nomis more pointless ammo so they can go around like "SEEEE THAT'S WHY MARVEL MOVIES SUCK" once more, but its actual value to this discussion at this point amounts to zero

Anyway. Logan is the best 2018 superhero film for sure.

Ruth wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:I have watched every single one of these MCU films too (I even own some of them on DVD). I always go in with an open mind but they mostly don't do much for me, mainly because of the overbearing humour that deflates the tension, the uninspiring visual aesthetic, the bland soundtrack, the generic dialogue and the at best average acting. Thats why they often do not warrant a rewatch and rarely have a moment of true emotional impact. You go back to them every time hoping that things improve but they mostly just stay the same and you end up disappointed because you realize the squandered potential.
Sorry for sounding harsh, but what was even the point of this post? I've read versions of this no less than like 50 times already. You just gave people like Nomis more pointless ammo so they can go around like "SEEEE THAT'S WHY MARVEL MOVIES SUCK" once more, but its actual value to this discussion at this point amounts to zero

Anyway. Logan is the best 2018 superhero film for sure.
People discussing Thor Ragnarok once more reminded me of my feelings about the MCU as a whole and I wanted to express them again. I'm very sorry for it being repetitive but there is no deeper reason to it than that. Wasn't trying to boost anyone else's argument. I agree that the statement in and of itself does not contribute much. Just felt like saying it is all.

Batfan175 wrote:Logan is finally a more mature superhero film, one of the very few, if not the only one, we got after TDK and TDKR. It is the best superhero movie of the year and has the power to stand the test of time because it does not really do any visibly annoying nods to any of the comicbook lore. It's just a good story with characters we care about.
Can you elaborate on this please?