Actors' Director vs Filmmakers' Director

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
what category would you guys place Nolan in?

personally, i think he's more of a filmmakers' director....we know he only shoots a few takes and moves quickly, so i think he gets the shots he needs and doesnt toil over the little details....and actors dont really get to create strong characterizations in his films, with the exception of the joker, which i think was an unplanned thing contributed by ledger

while guys like the Coens and Tarantino are more actors' directors...they allow room for the actors to create rich details in their characterizations

THe actors may not create detailed charactierizations, but Nolan certainly knows how to get great performances from his actors. He is superior in that aspect to many directors.

theweatherman wrote:THe actors may not create detailed charactierizations, but Nolan certainly knows how to get great performances from his actors. He is superior in that aspect to many directors.
Agreed about that. Even if the actor's characters are not meticulously detailed, the audience still feels a sense of compassion towards them and they actually care about Nolan's characters and they can also relate to them as well. A character can be as detailed as a painting but if the audience feels nothing towards them, well, that character fails.

talli wrote:we know he only shoots a few takes and moves quickly, s
Yes. That is why his shooting ratio for The Dark Knight was 200:1 and it took him nearly 7 months to film Inception. :lol:

CrazyEight wrote:
talli wrote:we know he only shoots a few takes and moves quickly, s
Yes. That is why his shooting ratio for The Dark Knight was 200:1 and it took him nearly 7 months to film Inception. :lol:

i was quoting the actors...thats what they all said....inception took 7 months to shoot, because theres so many scenes in it...the ratio of the number of shots to screen time is unusually high....plus it does take quite a while to move production from country to country and build the sets and the rigs they needed.....use your head man

He's definitely not an actor's director in the way that Lumet or Kazan are/were.

i was quoting the actors...thats what they all said....inception took 7 months to shoot, because theres so many scenes in it...the ratio of the number of shots to screen time is unusually high....plus it does take quite a while to move production from country to country and build the sets and the rigs they needed.....use your head man
Excuse my stupidity. The ratio on The Dark Knight was 400:1. My apologizes.

Skip to 6:52 to see Nolan say this himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfxMugfQQ8c

Obviously 7 months of production is unusually long. It's a well known fact that Nolan takes longer to shoot a film then someone like Spielberg or Scorsese. Moving from country to country does not add full months to production. It may add weeks or at most a single month, but not two or three months like you are suggesting.

Before insulting someone's intelligence you should do some research on the subject at hand.

Crazy Eight, I have read numerous times that actors who work with Nolan feel that works quickly and wants to get things done. Wally Pfister said the same thing in one of his interviews for Inception. However with large productions like The Dark Knight and Inception this likely becomes more difficult to do. Nolan is well known in Hollywood as an extremely efficient director that has finished every one of his movies on time and under budget, he finished shooting Inception 5 days early.

I don't really care if they are actor directors or filmmaker directors. If the movie is good, then I'm happy.

chee wrote:I don't really care if they are actor directors or filmmaker directors. If the movie is good, then I'm happy.
Well said (written)
@sammyjankis88