Watchmen (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I like this episode the least for some reason but not by much at all. I mean, you can also see it as a theme in it that even the characters are kind of tired of something to varying degrees -
Ozzy of that place, Angela of Will's messing with her, we know Laurie's kind of looking for purpose under her fassade, even Trieu and Will discuss their willingness to "keep going forward", Trieu's daughter dreamt of walking for so long her "feet still hurt", Kal is kinda disappointed with Angela, Looking Glass has retreated in his bunker, the kids now know there's no "heaven" at the end of life
- so it's perhaps intentionally antithetic to last episode's pumping rhythmicity and momentum, but it's also somehow half-way almost and not really asking for my empathy much. Felt more like something in the middle between ep 3 and ep 5 rather than "an event" in itself.

Yeah, I’m with radewart on this one. I enjoyed it all the same, but it’s a filler episode pretty much. Just this episode actually reminded me of Westworld, and ultimately, why I checked out of that show - I don’t need extremely plot driven entertainment, so I don’t need to have all my questions answered, but the incessant mystery dump at the audiences also kind of distances you from the show a bit. Especially when it’s taken to such silly extremes like with Westworld. I really doubt this show will be like that though lol.

Last episode I didn’t really like Laurie, this episode I found myself liking Laurie more yet I didn’t like Trieu lol. I am, however, super excited for the next episode, as it’s apparently focused on Looking Glass who is by far the most intriguing (new) character to me as of now.

I also need to step away from reddit because people are already entertaining all of those crackpot theories (like Westworld! lol), and although it’s much easier to do with this one, since you mostly need to find the same constants between the show and the novel, but extreme theorizing always seems to do me in.

Yeah I think it's my main problem with the show so far, it's extremely plot-driven.

The Westworld comparison is really spot-on. It really isn't a character-driven show like The Leftovers.

Which really puts a lot of pressure on its conclusion

I dunno guys. the last thing i'd call this is filler, and it answers, deepens, and clarifies questions from the first 3 episodes, and for some of you saying it isn't character driven, it absolutely is. the show is dealing with trauma in a very similar way to the leftovers. instead of trauma motivating extreme belief in rationality or mysticism, it's motivating masks. and yet, in both the leftovers and watchmen, it motivates notions of cult. religion. ideology.

as for the answers,
We are introduced to our "new' Veidt in Trieu (is she "raising" a superhero kid with weird abilities?), meanwhile this episode very strongly hints Veidt is on the Moon, likely in a way created by Trieu (she can "create" babies?).

We already got an answer for who stole Angela's car, a key question from episode 2. We also "confirmed" who he was this episode.

Laurie was wrong to assume the car was placed by Dr. Manhattan, a Leftoversian style false symbol she projected belief onto.

We also see Will and Trieu are in league, with plans to betray Angela, and the episode ends with them, people of color, seemingly members of the seventh cavalry conspiracy.
idk, i liked it more than episode 2. they're all bangers. it seems so much richer and sure-footed than westworld, which was broad in style and in theme.

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law
That just wasn't a good episode

this was one of the best episodes of TV ive seen all year

As others have said very Leftovers-y. Trauma, belief, identity get woefully entangled until they can no longer separate. this is how you invoke the comic in a radical, powerful way.

the way this show is furthering the A-plot even as switching different perspectives is a sight to behold. high-functioning narrative machinery.

-Vader

Okay this was actually an amazing episode
I’m so sad Wade had to betray Angela, even if he was more or less forced to. I’m like, sad, they may not be able to mend their partnership after this

like i wouldn’t need to worry for all these non existent people if only they actually communicated better

I’m now counting on Laurie to figure all of this shit out :cry: or i’m going to spend the rest of the week imagining lube man showing up to save wade k thx

Each new episode continues to surpass the previous.

Great television.

Vader182 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:57 pm
radewart wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Good episode and Regina King and Jean Smart are great in their scenes together.

Though, I hope we do start to get some answers to what's going on. This episode served up a lot more questions instead of providing any kind clarity on any of the other established plot points (something that irks me about current peak TV).
Lady Trieu being from Vietnam and Angela also, has to tie into Dr. Manhattan and his part in the Vietnam War.
i see this comment made a lot and i am sincerely wondering, what about watchmen specifically strengthens your desire for early resolution compared to other mystery shows?

-Vader
Unnecessary condescending remark. Mystery shows often have episodes where questions are answered. The whole thing doesn’t need to be resolved at once.

anikom15 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 6:05 pm
Vader182 wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:57 pm
radewart wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 8:34 pm
Good episode and Regina King and Jean Smart are great in their scenes together.

Though, I hope we do start to get some answers to what's going on. This episode served up a lot more questions instead of providing any kind clarity on any of the other established plot points (something that irks me about current peak TV).
Lady Trieu being from Vietnam and Angela also, has to tie into Dr. Manhattan and his part in the Vietnam War.
i see this comment made a lot and i am sincerely wondering, what about watchmen specifically strengthens your desire for early resolution compared to other mystery shows?

-Vader
Unnecessary condescending remark. Mystery shows often have episodes where questions are answered. The whole thing doesn’t need to be resolved at once.
it wasn't intended as condescending, but there's plenty of mystery shows that doll out information at a much slower pace than Watchmen. I suspect part of it is that we have so much "zany" world building that we have a greater sense of "not knowing what's going on" than other things.

imo, episodes 4 and especially 5 did a great job furthering the plot forward while answering big questions.

-Vader