Watchmen (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

In fairness I'm just being lazy and didn't have time to read the original GN properly before this :P Have seen Snyder's of course and am aware of the differences (that squid)... but going off my own experience watching it this morning, it wasn't too bad...

Vader182 wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 10:13 am
antovolk wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 7:30 am
Ruth wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 6:39 am
not super familiar with the source material, haven’t seen zaddy’s film either.

would it be worth it for me to start watching this?
Yup. It follows its own path, at this point the connections to the source material (specifically the comic, Snyder's film isn't canon while the original graphic novel is) are more Easter eggy than anything and leave even more questions when you start connecting the dots.
Yeah don’t listen to this. It’s like watching 2049 without having seen blade runner. It “makes sense” but you’ll miss so much.

The GN takes 7 hours to read. Just read it lol.

-Vader
Ok mom.

antovolk wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 10:19 am

In fairness I'm just being lazy and didn't have time to read the original GN properly before this :P Have seen Snyder's of course and am aware of the differences (that squid)... but going off my own experience watching it this morning, it wasn't too bad...
Vader mom gives you the same advice dude just read it. It’s such a low time investment for an amazing and rich piece of literature.

-Vader

Exactly. There's also a motion comic version which is very cool. Snyder's version is very, very close to the comics but not all of it is in there and it really pays off.

the racist hwites are mad af https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/watchmen/s01

A select few highlights
The only character that knew right from wrong inspired a bunch of white supremacists because reasons
Wokemen is just the laitest example of the woke mob infecting a franshice that used to be good & leave nothing but destruction in its wake...
It's clear that the critics give more points to "woke" TV rather than TV that just focuses on telling a good story. HBO's "Watchmen" plays out like a revenge fantasy of some moody blacktivist, rather than a comic book show. There's absolutely nothing of substance here, and each scene just feels like cringey virtue-signaling to half of the audience as the show's writers tell the other half to piss off.
WOKEMEN We're done here.
Why do I constantly have to be preached at by media companies about "social issues". If I want that kind of show I will choose it. Stop putting it in EVERYTHING. Note to media companies: If I see the words "socially relevant" or "tackled issues" I am going to pass from here on out. I just want to watch a cool super hero show, not have someone try to teach me "a lesson".
Anyway, I really loved the first episode. Will be re-reading the GN today (idk if I have time for a rewatch of Snyder's film at the moment). I'm looking forward to see how this turns out!

Artemis wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 10:39 am

A select few highlights
The only character that knew right from wrong inspired a bunch of white supremacists because reasons
Wokemen is just the laitest example of the woke mob infecting a franshice that used to be good & leave nothing but destruction in its wake...
It's clear that the critics give more points to "woke" TV rather than TV that just focuses on telling a good story. HBO's "Watchmen" plays out like a revenge fantasy of some moody blacktivist, rather than a comic book show. There's absolutely nothing of substance here, and each scene just feels like cringey virtue-signaling to half of the audience as the show's writers tell the other half to piss off.
WOKEMEN We're done here.
Why do I constantly have to be preached at by media companies about "social issues". If I want that kind of show I will choose it. Stop putting it in EVERYTHING. Note to media companies: If I see the words "socially relevant" or "tackled issues" I am going to pass from here on out. I just want to watch a cool super hero show, not have someone try to teach me "a lesson".
Anyway, I really loved the first episode. Will be re-reading the GN today (idk if I have time for a rewatch of Snyder's film at the moment). I'm looking forward to see how this turns out!
What were they expecting? The original wasn’t subtle.

Rorschach fans are triggered? Well that's exactly the point.

That didn't take long, it's so transparently about Regina King being one of the leads, ugh, burn those fuckers, seriously.

Lindelof pushing buttons, this is fabulous. ^^

Artemis wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 10:39 am

A select few highlights
WOKEMEN We're done here.
Lol, those guys don't want the story to tackle socio-political topics...when it's based on Watchmen...again, lol. They just mad because the show doesn't share their hateful views. Alan Moore always said Rorschach was meant to be a far-right nutcase so the guys who idolize that douchebag being triggered is par for the course at this point.

That was one hell of a pilot. What an amazing year for HBO, if you can forget that they fucked up GoT earlier this year.

Don't go anywhere near this without reading the graphic novel first. Snyder's half arsed adaptation where he only depicted the right wing characters accurately is no replacement either.