The Favourite (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I saw it at a film festival in like October, and I didn't love it as much then. But it has definitely grown on me since. Might watch it again before the Oscars.

Artemis wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:43 pm
dafox wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 1:39 pm
This might be the funniest movie I've ever seen, which is a real achievement because the last scene is about as disturbing as Eraserhead. GRRM, D&D, and Lena Headey better have gotten their shit together for their finale if GoT is supposed to look respectable compared to this in terms of societal court/political drama. Rachel Weisz was so charming that she actually made me side with the aristocrat over Emma Stone's working class minx, overcoming my extreme prejudices. She was great as the seductive ruler/ultimate tease in The Fountain but somehow she's outdone herself. I look forward to eventually getting into the rest of this guy's filmography.
I feel like you would immensely enjoy Killing of a Sacred Deer.
Looks that way. Thanks for the heads up.

Stone's snort retort to Weisz is the stuff of legend

Could we please talk about how ignored Nicholas Hoult has been compared to the other actresses? The delivery of most of his lines had me in absolute stitches.

Hoult, Alwyn and James Smith and the duck are all great but it ain't their party.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Hoult, Alwyn and James Smith and the duck are all great but it ain't their party.
This. Stone, Colman and Weisz pretty much put in the three best performances of the year in any movie for me.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
I agree. It helps that Weisz and Stone have very cat-like appearances, especially with Stone's distinct looking eyes. The duck racing was the comedic jolt I needed to stop wasting time on fantasy football or spectator sports in general. The way that one guy strokes his champion duck perfectly depicts how fantasy footballers boast about their teams and genius managerial "skill" when there isn't a game going on. The queen's manipulability is pretty eerie when considering Trump except she has actual grown up issues that are being taken advantage of. It's sad how we're all inclined to look past that actress in favor of the two shiny objects, just like all of the characters do in the film, but still, she's a monarch so fuck her.
Weisz’s letter burning towards the end was endearing enough to redeem her into an ambivalent character as opposed to some wholly opportunistic ice queen. Stone has our sympathy early on but of course she heads in the opposite direction as her accumulated abuse molds her into a jaded person that loses her virtue for the sake of fitting in and vindictively inflicting her own past abuse onto others. A true class traitor, like everyone over 30.

dafox wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 8:27 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
I agree. It helps that Weisz and Stone have very cat-like appearances, especially with Stone's distinct looking eyes. The duck racing was the comedic jolt I needed to stop wasting time on fantasy football or spectator sports in general. The way that one guy strokes his champion duck perfectly depicts how fantasy footballers boast about their teams and genius managerial "skill" when there isn't a game going on. The queen's manipulability is pretty eerie when considering Trump except she has actual grown up issues that are being taken advantage of. It's sad how we're all inclined to look past that actress in favor of the two shiny objects, just like all of the characters do in the film, but still, she's a monarch so fuck her.
Weisz’s letter burning towards the end was endearing enough to redeem her into an ambivalent character as opposed to some wholly opportunistic ice queen. Stone has our sympathy early on but of course she heads in the opposite direction as her accumulated abuse molds her into a jaded person that loses her virtue for the sake of fitting in and vindictively inflicting her own past abuse onto others. A true class traitor, like everyone over 30.
Emma Stone's eyes are just astonishing. I know she's nominated but I still think her performance in this is kind of underrated. I think it should be her most acclaimed performance at least, i.e. better than hers in La La Land. I hope it's the performance she's remembered for (though I also hope she has many more, even better ones to come).

Technically well made and acted, but on the whole the flick didn't do much for me. I know I'm in the minority on this one.

Who didn’t laugh their ass off at this? SHAME!