Ad Astra (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 7:11 pm
Exactly. I believe this is Gray's movie, it's just unclear if he's trying to make a much broader movie than his last several (more cerebral, austere) films or if the marketing is merely trying to present it that way.

-Vader
Liv Tyler apparently wasn’t in the original cut so that suggests stuff may have been significantly reworked.

Meh. Btw, I haven't seen Liv Tyler since The Incredible Hulk

Liv Tyler not being in the original cut doesn't suggest adding her came down from the mouse. That's conjecture that contradicts what we've heard otherwise.

-Vader

i honestly don’t see what’s wrong with this, sans bad (as of now) vfx

i just think it’s really difficult to gauge what this is from the trailer, because it’s most likely very misleading. idk if intentionally or not

Vader182 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 7:20 pm
Liv Tyler not being in the original cut doesn't suggest adding her came down from the mouse. That's conjecture that contradicts what we've heard otherwise.

-Vader
I never said I thought that’s the case, just that the film was reworked.

To me this looks like a trailer trying to sell a mainstream quasi love story/quasi action movie in space... and it clearly isn't. Look past the music and specific way of editing here, I'm sure this is completely different. Reminds me of how Sunshine was portrayed in that legendary trailer vs. what it actually was.

Do I actually believe this will also secretly be the new space classic? No, not really, but doesn't look that bad either. We've just seen a lot of the genre defining space movies in our time and a lot of the 'space' cues are definitely here, therefore the familiarity aspect is strong. Weird as it may seem, if I could compare Ad Astra with boxing subgenre, one would hope for this to be more like The Warrior than Creed II.

Wait, why didn't I just go for the actual space movies... Mission to Mars, rather than Red Planet? Lol.

honestly, the September release date has me more skeptical than the trailer does. It means the studio doesn't think it will earn a ton of money or go on to win oscars.

hopefully Disney is falsely concerned

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 10:59 pm
honestly, the September release date has me more skeptical than the trailer does. It means the studio doesn't think it will earn a ton of money or go on to win oscars.

hopefully Disney is falsely concerned

-Vader
Might just be too arty and sci fi for awards and still great.

Basically like Annihilation...

antovolk wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 2:12 am
Basically like Annihilation...
That’s the hope.