Ad Astra (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's a decent trailer. It looks worse than what I hoped for thus far, the story feels kind of corny and blockbuster-y, whereas I thought it would have been a more serious character/journey movie, but I'm still down for an exciting space sci-fi flick with Brad fucking Pitt.

I was hoping for a smart scifi but this shit did a 360 and turn it into a Bay movie.

m4st4 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 1:12 pm
Tough crowd.

HvH and B-Pitty in space are enough for a measly ticket price in my book (yes, it’s still measly here in comparison to most countries).
This.

And it’s kind of obvious why people are being overly critical on here.

why's that allstar

-Vader

something something self conscious about Interstellar

Allstar is the most predictable user on here lol

it's what i'm thinking he'll say, but i was under the impression it was one of the most anticipated movies of 2019 by most here?

I agree the reason people are taken aback is "obvious," but it's because it's unclear whether Gray is trying to make a surprisingly broad space movie vs if Disney is just trying to make it seem that way. Not to mention, again, the very rough VFX.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 4:50 pm
it's what i'm thinking he'll say, but i was under the impression it was one of the most anticipated movies of 2019 by most here?

I agree the reason people are taken aback is "obvious," but it's because it's unclear whether Gray is trying to make a surprisingly broad space movie vs if Disney is just trying to make it seem that way. Not to mention, again, the very rough VFX.

-Vader
some of the effects aside, which i'm sure will improve before release, i do think it looks pretty good.

just completely unsurprising to me that he's the one to point this kinda reaction out lol

Vader182 wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 4:50 pm

-Vader
I think the fact Hoyte is shooting this particularly people are unfavorably comparing it to Interstellar. Apparently this tested very well a while a back, the concern is if Disney tampered with it. The trailer suggests that’s possible but I think it’s more Disney trying to make it look more mainstream than it actually is.

Since it's a New Regency production and has quite a bit of indie money behind it I doubt Disney will be able to tamper it that much, marketing aside. In fact Gray did mention in interviews that Regency's been keeping the studio off his back and he's basically only been dealing with them.

Exactly. I believe this is Gray's movie, it's just unclear if he's trying to make a much broader movie than his last several (more cerebral, austere) films or if the marketing is merely trying to present it that way.

-Vader