Suspiria (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Allstar wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Well, we now have Argento’s reaction and it seems he either played it nice with Guadagnino or their call was “great” for other reasons. “It did not excite me, it betrayed the spirit of the original film: there is no fear, there is no music. The film has not satisfied me so much,” Argento recently said in an interview with Radio Rai 1’s Un Giorno da Pecora (via Indie for Bunnies), slamming the remake.

He went on to concede that it was “a refined film, like Guadagnino, who is a fine person.” In a statement that may be more damning then he intended, he also added, “Guadagnino makes beautiful tables, beautiful curtains, beautiful dishes, all beautiful…”

Upon its release this past fall, the reimagining of the 1977 classic certainly divided critics and was mostly ignored by audiences, failing to cross even the $2.5 million mark at the domestic box office.
https://thefilmstage.com/news/dario-arg ... -original/
Allstar, you seem to enjoy posting these crushing sort of ‘reality checks’, imagine being betrayed by your childhood idol? At least Tarantino cried lol.

But it’s understandable that Dario cannot comprehend the level of subtlety and layers in which Luca operates, his entire filmography is pure shock value, pretty visual and loud filmmaker, as opposed to Guadagnino’s elegant, almost romantic hyper-realism. Apples and oranges definitely.🕷️
Just thought it was something worth sharing. Why ignore it like it doesn’t exist? I find it quite funny Bacon assumes what I’ve seen and haven’t seen, when I don’t comment on a ton of things I have seen. So in reality he has no idea. Also, posting something doesn’t mean you agree with it so it’s all irrelevant. He is just absurdly sensitive that merely posting quotes with no comment at all offends him and only because of the composer. :lol: Be bigger than him m4, I know you are.

I don’t feel like being ‘bigger’ than anyone round here tbh.🕷️

m4st4 wrote:
January 19th, 2019, 10:32 pm
I don’t feel like being ‘bigger’ than anyone round here tbh.🕷️
Allstar does so that's how he thinks all the time.

I got what you were saying m4, and I agree. For someone who A. knew how much this meant to Luca and B. is known for being such a visionary of style, it's kind of odd to publicly call out Luca for going against the grain to do his own thing.

Allstar has to see the film to quote sth from Argento in this thread?£

Master Virgo wrote:
January 20th, 2019, 3:11 am
Allstar has to see the film to quote sth from Argento in this thread?£
Are you new here? Also, you know the answer to that question.🕷️

I mean it's like faulting Magnar for regularly posting data that shows The Last Jedi was a failure in this regard or that. Sure he/she has a clear bias against the film, but (s)he has every right to post relevant updates and stuff.

Now if Allstar does something similar to her/him, in terms of bringing up the film in every unrelated context, just to remind us all, that he didn't like it, that's indeed redundant and objectionable.

I love you bro, but you unfortunately have this habit of getting super defensive about stuff that you care about. You and Bacon both.

People should be allowed to come into these threads and say negative things about these films, if their intentions is to discuss their thoughts with details, or simply addressing related news with negative vibes.£

Everything you said is 100% correct... except for one segment: me being superdefensive, in this particular case. I learned how to cope with public opinion over the years and my focus shifted entirely onto myself and people around me and dear to me. The thing is, allstar’s repeating predictable behavior, after so many years, is starting to get on my nerves. His continuous way of picking a grudge with Nomis, Bacon..., his one liners in a loop, his miles away obvious way of bait and switch posting, his inability to change etc. Should we really bring it back to ‘this is everybody’s objective right, he did nothing wrong’ or should somebody call it out for what it is? You know I don’t respect bullshit so if that’s my role from time to time, I accept it. You l’ll be the rational moderator, as you should. Going back to Suspiria, this movie is batshit crazy, I’m perfectly fine with half of the population downright hating it if they want. I’m fine with Argento trashing it since that is his human right. Do I disapprove of his way though? Absolutely. He is somebody’s idol, idols and mentors aren’t supposed to talk trash in front of their students. They often do, but that doesn’t make it more right. Imagine if I were to tell a student his written work is downright bad? There are gentler, more intelligent ways of communicating the rights and wrongs in somebody’s art, if we’re talking about this particular perspective: mentor/idol-student/follower. 🕷️

nothing convinces a man of righteousness quite like an angry wall of text

-Vader

starting to get on your nerves, you say?

anyway, what did Argento want from this? Did he want Guadagnino to step by step imitate the original so Argento could trash it for being a rip off lol?