Hellboy (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Directed by Neil Marshall, To Star David Harbour, R-Rated
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ur-1001462
Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero-turned- Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big-screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.

Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment is also producing.

Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is in talks to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Del Toro is not involved nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.

Rather, David Harbour, the Stranger Things star, is in talks play Hellboy.

If a deal makes, Millennium would become the third company to make a Hellboy movie in as many releases.

Hellboy was created in 1993 by Mignola and became an indie comic hit as it told of a demon raised by a professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.
Last edited by SilverHeart on August 4th, 2017, 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chance for a real Hellboy movie (they seem to be adapting Darkness Calls), I just don't like the odds with that company. Director and main star would be a win though. Color me intrigued.

This was the best route for this franchise to go. David Harbour is always the supporting character, so it'll be nice to see him in the lead, let alone headline a franchise. I've never seen The Descent, but I have seen Centurion is an underrated enjoyable little movie, and he too deserves his own break-out project.

I find it funny how people around the web are now saying 'Hellboy ain't Hellboy without Del Toro'. It's (potentially) everything without him. While I liked the first one and segments of the sequel, his Hellboy is a shadow of what Mignola, Arcudi and Allie have been consistently doing with the world for decades now. And that's just how Del Toro rolls, at best he's striving to be on the same level as his endless lovecraftian/vampiric or generally geeky inspirations. I don't believe he'll ever surpass Pan's Labyrinth, not even with unlikely scenario where Mountains of Madness is a thing.

I don't give two shits about what Hellboy was supposed to be and how Del Toro changed it. I liked his version. I liked his movies. I would have liked to have seen it concluded.

So this is like a soft reboot, right?

And nice to see you back M4

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:I don't give two shits about what Hellboy was supposed to be and how Del Toro changed it. I liked his version. I liked his movies. I would have liked to have seen it concluded.
More power to you and I can certainly get that pov. Not saying his vision is entirely faulty, hell Perlman is practically Hellboy incarnate by himself, but knowing more and better can potentially raise the character way above what's been out there (so far only two movies and one animation). Mignolaverse is huge, time to crack open that pandora's box.

Like I said, my only concern about this news is production based.

Bit odd that they can go this way but not greenlit Hellboy III. Not that I really mind, those films weren't that good imo. Harbour seems like a good choice for Hellboy.

It's not weird at all. The other two films weren't box office hits and Del Toro was on record that his vision of H3 would cost over 150 mil. No studio would greenlight it so they decided to make the movie cheaper. Since it's cheaper and a comic book movie they decided to go the Deadpool/Logan route and make it R as well to market it to that potential audience. Case closed.

Yeah okay, I didn't know Del Toro wanted that much money. Isn't exactly feasible given how the the first two films did.